one, twenty three: the truth comes out

cash knew something was wrong, her eyes were red as was her nose. she couldn't even meet his eyes as he fell onto the bench spot beside her.

"what did he do mara?" cash questioned reaching for her hand, only fo her to pull back. fiddling with the hem of her skirt.

"mara?" he asked softly, he didn't know how to help her if she didn't tell him. it took her one look at his worried gaze and she snapped. eyes filling with tears again. her head dropped into his shoulder the second his arms wrapped around her. she crumbled in his arms. sobbing into his shoulders. all he could do washold her. and he did, he held the girl in his arms.as if she were a ceramic doll that was cracking. and she was. the facade was cumbling. she wasn't as strong as she lead on. she couldn't save her. couldn't keep pretending like she was fine.

"it wasn't spider." she mumbled, his hand raising to her hair, brushing his fingers through it lightly in attempt to calmher. okay so it wasn't spider, but who? and as usual, like she read his mind.

"chook."

"what did he do?" he spat, pulling back from her, eyes filling with rage once more. she didn't have to tell him, he knew. she lifted the skirt and he saw the slice. he remembered seeing the blood on her thigh after coming back from the bathroom when they had the movie at chooks.

oh

oh.

and he got onto his knees before her. crying instatnly. he was there. he didn't do anything. he couldn't have helped her. he helped harper, he did help someone.

"i'm so sorry mar. im sorry." he cried. and cried, holding her softly. he couldn't do anything about it, she knew that. she didn't want him too. she had accceted it, blamed herself. didn't want him getting hurt.

"it's okay, it's okay." she spoke. now it was her turn to run her fingers through his hair. he wanted to kill him. he thought harper was the only one, not his mara as well. how many more would there be? how many was there already? he was thankfully he had saved harper before she had the same fate now. he was going to get chook. he had to do something.

"i got you something." she whispered. and he looked back up at the girl. she was pulling something out her bag, he couldn't help the chuckle as she waved the pansexual flag. placing it in his hands softly.

"i love you mar." he cried soft, he was always so soft around her. he couldnt help it. she made him better.  she made him want to be a better person.

"i love you too doug." and he lightly punched her for the nickname.

"want to go get some crisps and watch the maze runner?" she questioned as he stood up, still holding the pan flag in his hand.

"you seriously need a better favourite movie." he chucled holding his hand out for the girl.

"it is the best movie ever, shut up." she laughed punching him whiping away her past tears. but he wold still watch it a million times, just for her. for mara's comfort movie, he'd put up with it evertime. he loved how she would always lean during thomas's time in the maze, she knew he'd surivive but it still had her on edge. he liked her little blushed cheeks and silly smile evertime gally was on the screen. she hella fancied him. (she is me, i am her. we are one.) mara washis soulmate, there was no doubting that. his platonic soulmate, of course. but soulmate nevertheless. she was his siter, and he would do anything for her. including whatching the maze runner a zillion times over.

"do i have to apologise to spider?" cash asked as they walked back to his house, hand in hand with mara. she chuckled.

"yes."and he groaned. she was glad she had turned her phone off, she knew spider. he would be blowing her phone up as they speak. and they hung out, all day. as usual. they watched the maze runner deathcure, this was mara's favourite. gally looks really fit in this. her words. and then it was time for deliveries. mara was sat drinking a milshake whislt darren was alking to cash about buying drugs tomorrow. apartnly the two were invited to darren's for pre drinks to the mardi gras party. she walked over when one of chook's newest recuits came over. she watched darren's face face as they watched cash's reaction. he went cold. stiff. the pretend cash surfaced.

"what a fucking flamer." the child laughed.

"oi, shut the fuck up ankle biter." god she hated children. especailly chav children.

"shut up ya slag." and chook shouted him back. the poor kid hadn't been around long enough to know who mara was. the small tinhe of betrayl was seen in darren's eyes before they walked off to the shop once more. cash walking off towards chook. mara stood for a moment debating it. 

"what happening lad?"

"fuck all bro."

"oi princess, you not joing us?" chook spat, and her head dropped. aceepting her fate as she took steps towards the group. he tapped hisfinger to his cheek for her to kiss but cash was faster. wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her towards him. he didn't want chook touching her at all.

"fiesty, how did you go with that shit from the earch?" chook questioned as he lit up his cig, the smell of weed drifting from him straight away. fucking fantasic. cash turning into a stumbling mess. not good.