one, thirty: to be in love

she had gotten a message from cash telling her how he was going to hang out with darren. the grin on her features. and she took the route home, riding on her bike through the town. music playing through her headphones as she drove through the park. when she returned home, her mother was already home. stood in the kitchen making whatever tea was going to be.

"by the way, there was a boy over for you earlier on." she spoke just as she started to take off her shoes.

"oh, who was it?" she questioned from the doorway, leaving her converse at the shoe rack.

"go and find out." and she raised her row at her mother who had smiled and turned back to the wok of spiced chicken. her door was slightly ajar. and she walked into her room to find a bouquet of pink hydrangeas. laid there in all their beauty on her sheets. a small note with a cobweb drawn heart, a tiny spider hanging from it. a smile growing on her face. okay, he was good.

mara: thank you

spence: you wanted flowers,
told you i'd get you them

mara: how' you know my
favourite flowers?

spece: let's just say i owe
cash a favour

mara: wow, you paid him to
tell you? you suck

spence: shut the fuck up.

and she laid on the bed, hugging the flowers to her chest, a bright smile lifted on her features. music still playing softly through her headphones as she lay on the fruit scented sheets. was this what it felt like to be in love? she rushed for a vase out the kitchen. filling it with water and placing the flowers in.

"mara.those are beautiful. did that boy get you them?" her mother spoke as she watched her daughter before her eyes landed on the flowers. they were beautiful. a soft pink in colour. the little petals reminded one of cherry blossom. another one of marinne's favourite plants. the girl merely smiled in response as her mother dished out the food. spicy chicken, rice and a pita bread.

"so who is he?" her mum questioned as she joined her daughter at the table. glasses filled with water in her hands.

"spencer but everyone calls him spider." mara replied as she started eating the food her mother had made. and as usually it was really good. her mum was a confusing one if she thought spider was bad for sudden changed moods. cindy darling was even worse.

"interesting, do you like him?" her mum asked as she mirrored her daughters actions.

"yeah, i do. he's actually my boyfriend.'' mara replied rather nervously, scared of what the women's reaction may be. but she only smiled and nodded. going back to her food. and silence returned as the two girls sat at the table. enjoying their meal as small chatter was made occasionally. questions about work and school mostly.

"were you in love with dad?" mara asked suddenly as she looked up at her mum, the colour seemed to faded from the women's face at the mention of him.

"i don't know." she whispered, head dropping slightly to stare at her food.

"why the sudden question of dad?"

"just curious, you never talk about him."

and cindy started explains her ex-boyfriend to her daughter, the said father of the daughter she was telling. picking at the food on the plate, moving it back and forth as she spoke.

"i love you." the dark haired girl muttered as she brushed her finger's through the boy's hair. he had just scored the final points as the bell rang, the end of the match. and he ran to her. taking his girlfriend in his arms as the school roared in cheers for the win. and that's how they found themselves asat in benny's dinner,the final year students sharing a glass of coke. he would get the most dirty greasy burger and she would always get a side of curly fries covered in some kind of spicy red sauce. they were sitting laughing, he was blessed with the joy of winning. bringing his team to victory but instead of sneaking beer in his best friend's room he sat with her.eating food and he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

but things change, and not always for the better.

"i love you."she cried as the boy stared at her in horror. the news of a baby still hung in the air.

"i can't, i have a life." he said, grabbing his bag and walking away, leaving the dark haired girl standing there all alone. students soon to fill the corridors. the end of the couple would be left unknown, and he returned to be that guy. the guy girls fawned over and guys were jealous of. and cindy darling was left in the dust.

"i was in love with him, but that was long ago." she finished and mara listened to her story. finally the mystery of her father was broken. he had left them because he had a life to live, like cindy didn't.

"do you wish you could go back?" she questioned softly, not knowing what she wanted the answer actually to be.

"no. never. it has never crossed my mind because i had a beautiful baby girl who's now grown into a strong independent woman. everything i couldn't be." and the slightest tinge of guilt hit mara for what she had done. would that thing have turned out like what her mother believes her to be? and it went as quick as it came. she had done the right thing.

"i love you mum."

"i love you more.'' cindy grinned, grabbing her daughter's hand softly before mara offered to wash the pots. soon carrying the now vased flowers on her desk. hanging the paper drawn heart on the wall near the polaroid she had taken of the two once in the park when they were secretly dating/hooking up. and she was left pondered on a certain spider boy once more.