one, forty five: of apologies

when she next returned to school, she found malakai standing with quinni and darren. mara skips over to hug quinni. the scribbles of herself that have been hung on her wall, beside the spider and heart drawn by spencer. only to find harper and amerie walking together, a small smile growing on her face.

"so i owe you an apology." harper spoke as she turned to mara finally. to which she nodded. it was good to see harper and amerie friends again, that didn't mean that she liked harper though.

"i'm sorry for what i did."

"as am i." she told the girls, smiling slightly as darren motioned for harper to follow them. mara finding cash walking up to the gates.

"you okay?'' mara asked, noticing amerie halt at his presence. strange. cash walking over to the two girls.

"we need to talk." she spoke looking at cash and mara. to which the two slowly nodded, letting amerie lead them away. her and cash sat on the stairs listening to amerie. she told them about the festival, about harper. that fucking bastard.

"it's good that you unlocked the door and whatever it you still let them put her in that car.'' mara felt like she was going to be sick, her eyes going distant as she dissociated.

"i know." he mumbled, disgusted by himself for his actions. he didn't dare look at marianne, he hadn't told her about this. during the festival she had left the boys as spider asked her to dance. now finding out that spider had disappeared to go shag amerie was also new news.

"why didn't you stop them cash?" cah finally looking to mara, only to find her blankly staring at the wall. her hands which had been wrapped around the railing had gone white. she wasn't the only one. chook almost had harper. she was thankful he had saved harper.

"have they done this before?" she asked the boy, watching as his eyes trailed to mara once more. no.

"yes." she answered for her. amerie's face fell, oh.

"will they do it again?" amerie questioned again.

"well third times a charm." she sneered, she was angry. not at amerie, nor cash. at chook. sure she was scared of him, but she had never wanted to wrap her fingers around someone's neck more right now. grabbing tighter till he would collapse, lack of air. no. she wanted blood. she wanted to watch the blood trail as he watched the blood trail from her.

"the fact you still hang out with them, cash, is absolutley fucked. stay away from darren, please."

"you don't know what it's like amerie.to be scared of your own friend. so back the fuck up." mara spat as amerie went to watch away. mara was cracking. the fuse was short, cash didn't want her to break right now. amerie gave her a surprised look before scurrying off. had harper and mara flipped again? instead cash grabbed her hand, pulling the girl back to the steps. to sit with him. just for a little while longer. resting his head on her shoulder.

"what happens now?"

"i don't know." she spoke softly, knowing they'd have to head to slt lesson any minute now. but they say a little longer, less than a couple minutes. and in true cash and mara style, they were last to enter the room. the empty table at the back is the only one left.

"as teachers, we are meant to teach. but we are also meant to learn. and i have learned something pretty valuable from all of you. in the past week." ms woods started as they made their way to the empty seats. sitting down quietly as she nodded.

"i am a slut. you're a slut. as are you. and you. we're all sluts." she spoke, the class laughing at her as she pointed to spider. and then to mara and then to harper before motioning the class.

"so footage from your little protest has circulated and the press for our school has been positive for once. the guardian writes, "the kids are alright, hartley high students protest the resignation of their favourite teacher."

"so we're not in trouble?"

"no, well yes. you are joining to have to get the cleaning bill, but your civil disobedience has captured the hearts of australia. so well done."

"okay, that's lovely. but miss obah hasn't agreed to come back, miss.

"well i wouldn't say that darren." ms woods spoke as she headed for the door. the whole class waiting in anticipation only for the doorway to be empty when she opened it. eventually after a minute jojo appeared, the class uproaring in delight as she did. even ash clapped his hand against the table at mara's request.

"we have covered a lot so far. consent, sti's, nudes, pleasure, and communication. how to frame our teacher. tha last one was a joke, don't do that again." aiming the last one at a certain group of boys sat in the back, three had not looked amused by said comment.

"you know, i could keep punishing you for what's happened. or we could start a new chapter. i know you might hate this class, but it's important. i really hope you'll see that one day. also you need to look out for each other more. these might be the worst years of your lives, but they might also be the best." she smiled, mara throwing a glance to cash who had grabbed her hand. the teenage years are supposed to be the best years of your life, so they say, and she wouldn't trade her best friend for the world. when class ended and spider had finished helping clean up he hadn't expected mara to be standing here. but she was. and she was smiling at him, holding out her hand. maybe things were starting to look up.

"i was wondering if you wanted to come over later." she asked as dusty went to talk to harper and amerie. he smiled, the grin glowing on his features as he nodded, a strand of blonde hair falling on his face.

"what about you spencer? anything you'd like to say?" amerie questioned as she watched mara tuck the hair behind his ear. he looked between the two girls.

"nah." smack.

"i'm sorry." he whispered as he lifted his hand to the back of his neck where mara had lightly hit him. a large smug grin painted on her face as he turned to look at her, not helping with the small smile raising on his face at her smile

"that's a good boy.'' harper mocked as the spider sneered. marianne smiled. harper dismissing dusty as mara lead spider away, his arm pulling over her shoulder as he pressed a kiss to her head.

"it sucks how hot he is, hey?" harper questioned as they watched dusty rush after mara and spider. amerie nodding in response.

"you know what else sucks, them." amerie added as she motioned to the happy couple. mara was changing spider, slowly. it would take a while but she could fix him. chewing on her gum in jealousy.

"mara and spider? i know right." harper cried turning to look at her best friend.

"she's far too hot for him." amerie spoke again and harper laughed, agreeing heavily.

"far too good." harper repeated as she followed the pair as they disappeared on their movie night.

-

two to go and i don't know whether to hint at sex or hint of drama