one, forty four: change of hearts

mara shot awake as a camera flashed. she awoke to find herself still laid on spider's chest, missy and darren taking pictures of them.

"don't they look so totally adorbs?" missy giggled, she looked absolutely on her rocker. mara didn't remember seeing any drugs last night. and for the first time in a long time, she had slept peacefully. no shadows in her dreams, no sound of chook's daunting voice. no cold touches. just the warmth rating of spider as she laid on his chest. his arm still wrapped around her as she tried to get up.

"where's amerie and ant?" she questioned, practically shimmying out of spider's arms. quinni and darren helped her stand, her legs felt like jelly. sleeping on the floor of your head teachers office was not a good idea, mara noted.

"they've gone to find water.'' sasha started but knocking came to the supply closet window. the pink haired girl rushed to let them back in. spider awaking with a groan. mara stood in the doorway stretching when amerie barged past her. if they were a cartoon her head would be double the size it was, would be red and smoke would be pouring out of her ears. she was fucking pissed.

"say it dusty! i need to hear you say it."

"say what?"

"that you fucked me over just to get out of doing a class. that you made up a rumour about me and jojo." and spider's face seemed to pale as he slowly stepped towards mara at the door.

"actually, the whole thing was your idea."

"i just-"

"SAY IT!" she screamed. mara turned to look at spider.

"you knew about this?"

"okay mara listen-" he started. wow.

"unbelievable, get your hands off me." she spat as he reached to grab her hips. quinni turning away, she didn't like people arguing. she looked out to see jojo appearing in the quad. a small smile on her face as she noticed that stacy was right. she could see the slt kids in the window. darren, quinni and cash stood at the windows. amerie glaring at dusty, spider begging mara.

"it's jojo! jojo is back!" quinni finally spoke, rushing to open the window. mara running to stand by cash. it was true. jojo obah in the quad.

"this is for you.'' quinni finally spoke, turning to mara. holding a scrap piece of paper out. opening it to find the page of her. the scribbles of her face. her arms wrapping around her as she tucked it into her bag.

"thanks for coming jojo." ms woods spoke, the vibe of the kids had changed at her appearance. maybe she'd been wrong afterall. the fire officers opening the doors, the slt students flooding out. mara being one of the last ones out. finding her mother stood there. arms crossed over her chest.

"so you helped infiltrate a protest, locked yourself in the school and voluntarily laid with sweaty boys. that's my brave cloud!" cindy laughed watching her daughters face fall. mara running into her mum's arms, cindy quickly wrapping her arms around her daughter. spider walking up to her. cindy taking the hint and informing her daughter to meet her at home.

"look, i didn't want to do it."

"but you did." she added, crossing her arms over her chest as she listened to him talk. listened to him beg.

"how many time will i have to keep forgivening you for dumb fucking shit spider?" she whispered, staring up at him as his shoulders slumped.

"till you're officially done with me." he spoke softly with a grin and she slapped his arm. his grin turning into a smile.

"you're a cunt."

"your cunt." he added with a grin, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her closer. pressing his lips to hers as he kissed her.

"mara! mara! you have your bike right?" amerie cried running over to her, the girl pulling away from spider. amerie looked like she needed help.

"yeha, why?"

"can you ride me to harper's?" she asked, taking sharp breaths. mara nodded, kissing spider's cheek before leading amerie over to her bike. climbing on the back of the bicycle. mara followed the girls instructions. two lefts, stretch through rose wood and a sharp right on harer's street.

"which ones harpers?" mara questioned as they arrived on the street amerie informed her to be harpers. finding an ambulance parked at a house. the girl jumping off the bike instead of answering. making a beeline for the said house with the van outside. mara quickly following.

"harper! harper?" amerie questioned, mara dropping ehr bike onto the grass outside harper's house as amerie ran for the front door. darkness shadowing the door. something wasn't right. she reached for amerie hand as a shadow appeared looming in the shadow. harper appeared, red splashed across her, it was across her white shirt and over her face. as if she had killed someone.

"harper?" amerie cried as tears fell over harper's cheeks.

"it happened again." what had happened again?

-

also three chapters to go til we're done, quite scary