Chapter 1: Cherry with a Touch of Cedar

The soft touch of the sun light hit my face as I awoke from my nap. Instantly, I smelt the deep scent of cleaning supplies and medicine mixed together and began to cough. With a groan, I rubbed my face unhappily and started to panic when I realized the sash covering my eyes was gone. Taking a moment, I slowly calmed down recalling the details of the morning before leaning back against the hospital bed with a groan.

    Carefully, I ran my fingers over the mid section of my body tracing the folds of bandages that were wrapped around them.  With a sigh, I ran over the events once more in my head trying to determine what had happened. I had left my apartment and made it down the stairs to the sidewalk where I said hello to Mr. Barnt, the landlord, who sat on his usual step. He said his polite hello and I turned left headed toward work. I stepped into Miss. Hanks bakery to pick up my usual coffee and a bagel before I reaching the first intersection. I had paused to determine if the light was green when a deep rich scent passed by and a large hand touched my back. Before I had time to process what was happening, I was pushed into the street. There was a loud horn from a taxi and then nothing. I pulled out of the memory quickly as I remembered the pain that followed and wrapped myself up in a hug trying to calm down. 

    With a slow breath, I closed my eyes trying to steady my racing heart which I could hear through the beeping of the montor. I let out a frustrated groan. Nothing had gone right since the accident this morning. After a taxi had hit me, someone had called an ambulance and I was taken straight to the hospital. I didn't mind being in the hospital but the people I had to deal with were not as pleasant as they could have been. They mixed up my paperwork and my name multiple times as they poked and prodded me trying to figure out what was wrong. No one seemed to listen to me as I stated I just wanted to go home. They removed my clothing and the sash to cover my eyes, without my permission, and the doctors made snarky comments as though I wasn't even in the room. I was blind not deaf.

    Frustrated, I put up with it and was relieved when they finally placed me in a hospital room and left me alone. All I really wanted to do was go home. I figured I was just bruised up from the accident and there was nothing major that needed attending to since no one had said anything about surgery.  Shifting slowly to the edge of my bed, about to stand up the door to the room opened and I froze. I knew the curtain was drawn, I couldn't forget the screeching sound that fell upon my ears from before, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure if I was covered. Pushing myself back into the bed, I waited silently listening.

    "Doc how long do I have to fucking wait? I promised to go with the other's to stop by and make sure their suites are fitting correctly at the store. You fucking know that Silas is going to be to large for his." A deep smooth voice filled and the room and my eyes widened as I listened. There was an undertone of annoyance and a faint touch of discomfort in his voice but it was ever so smooth. I can feel my face heat up at the sound of the voice and my fingers rush to my lips nervously.

    A soft playful voice appears next, who I assume is Doc. "Gabe just rest. The x-rays will come back in a bit. Just lay there and don't make a sound." He added teasingly, "Enjoy your dress." The sound of the door shut and Gabriel let out a string of curses. I couldn't help but let out a chuckle but froze as Gabriel stilled in the bed besides me.

    "Who is fucking there?!" He states in a deep surprised manner and I shift nervously to the edge of the bed touching the plastic side that was meant to keep a patient from falling off the bed.  My fingers gloss over the smooth buttons on the arm as I bit my lip. The sound of screeching fills my ears and I hear a sharp intake of breath. Instantly, I look up toward the sound.

    "Sorry, I know it is impolite to laugh but I couldn't help it." I whispered softly under my breath and I trembled nervously playing with the edge of my own gown. Quickly I look down to the ground realizing that I don't have my sash covering my eyes and instantly become self-conscious. Instantly, I put my hands over my eyes trying to hide them from sight.  "Sorry..." I whisper again under my breath and suddenly the soft sound of foot steps coming closer fills my ears.