Chapter 52: Uncharted

Point of View: Mr. Blackbourne

Frowning, I can hear the rush of footsteps, and before I can even see their faces, I know something has happened. North and Silas freeze on the couch and I can feel my stomach clench as Gabriel rounds the corner first his eyes alight with some idea. But before I can even react, my eyes fall upon Sang who is clinging to Nathan's shoulders as he rushes down the stairs behind him. Had we not just talked about how her anxiety was high? 

Noticing both North and Silas stand up from the couch with wide eyes, I step forward as Sang is suddenly placed on the counter top in the kitchen. Was she not feeling well? Did she have another nightmare? A thousand questions instantly starts to run through my head as I move toward the small blonde sitting on the counter top. 

Catching movement to my left, I glance to Nathan, who steps forward, as I position myself in front of Sang. "Mr. B you have to listen to what Sang was just saying." His voice is higher than usual making me aware that the information that Sang has to share is important but my eyes are focused on the wobbly girl before me.

At that moment, Sang begins to ramble out information. "She moves a certain times during the day. Usually only to and from work but that was probably based around me. When ever we go anywhere, she takes the most direct route and usually looks it up in her phone before we leave. I never thought of her as a flower lover but she always stated she needed extra cash." Trying to take in all of the information she is saying, my eyes widen as she continues to wobble and I am unable to watch her to continue. 

"Take a moment." I whisper rushing forward and guiding her close to my chest her hand rushing up to her forehead. Clearly overwhelmed, I gently run my hands up and down her sides in a soothing motion trying to get her to calm down. Glancing up, I meet Kota's eyes and nod toward the fridge to get her something to drink before wrapping my arms carefully around her. 

"So this is about Avery?" I glance to Nathan and Gabriel whose eyes are focused on Sang in surprise. Gabriel nods slightly letting me know he is listening and I gently slip my hands under Sang lifting her into the air once more. "Okay, before we start gathering information I think we need to take a moment to breath. " 

Glancing over to Silas and North they instantly nod and move to clear a spot on the couch and I carefully settle Sang in a seat. Kota appears with her drink and she takes slow sips as I kneel down in front of her. Surveying her for a moment, I glance once more to Gabriel and Nathan before slipping my hands into her pale ones. 

"Please tell me what you can remember about Avery's movements." 

Point of View: North 

After the first couple of minutes, I was impressed. After ten minutes I was astounded but after the twenty minute mark passed and Sang still hadn't stopped listing off all the different things she had learned about Avery, my mouth was hanging open and my mind blank with surprise.  It was though she could remember every single moment of every single day. And yet she couldn't see. 

I watch as Sang curls back up on the couch after speaking to Mr. Blackbourne. Her soft pale pink lips pressed together in thought as her soft blonde hair softly flowed by her ears resting on her shoulders. She was beautiful. The black sash covering her eyes was nothing compared to what could be seen. How had we found this perfect girl?

Was it possible that she was sent to us for a reason?

Glancing over to Silas, I meet his eyes for a moment to make sure we are on the same page but before I can even state a word aloud I meet the angry eyes of Mr. Blackbourne. He knows. Stepping between the two of us, I feel his hand on my shoulders guiding us into the dinning area. "Don't say anything." He whispers glancing behind him for a moment before the sound of footsteps can be heard. 

After another second of silence, I glance to Silas whose eyes are focused upon Mr. Blackbourne. "She wasn't brought to us on purpose." He states his eyes meeting my own before flickering to my brother. 

"Are you sure?" I ask gruffly meeting the glare of Mr. Blackbourne's dark grey eyes once more. "I get that she isn't related to the Academy but her recall... her movements that have gone unnoticed... her ghost status." I glance to Silas who shifts slight in his seat. 

"They are going to want her." Silas finishes his eyes hardening. 

Mr. Blackbourne nods and runs his hands through his hair as he thinks and I frown. He has also thought of this and it can't end well.  

Point of View: Sang 

Slowly moving down the hall, my hand placed on the wall to guide me, I silently count the doors as I move about. Nathan had mentioned that the bathroom was four doors away but everything in this house was uncharted territory. Feeling my fingers hit the wooden trim around a door, I take a deep breath and shiver slightly.

Vanilla. 

Moving farther down the hall, I freeze as I hear an angered voice coming from the next door. Surprised, I begin to move farther down the hall when I freeze. "Mother!" The voice is loud and causes me to stumble into the wall. Feeling my breathing hitch slightly the image of my step-mother appears in my mind her curly blonde hair pulled up into a tight braid and her soulless brown eyes staring at me. A heartless smile plastered to her lips in such a fake fashion that it was scary. 

Forcing myself to take a strong breath, I straighten myself as the loud voice continues on with the conversation.  "You  have scheduled me to be in two places at once for tomorrow! Do you not understand that this isn't possible?" Hearing a slight tremble in the voice I suck in a breath trying to determine whose voice it is when I hear a sudden hint of alto. Victor. Stumbling, I quickly move against the wall to the next door trying to determine where his voice is coming from. 

"Mother! Are you serious? It is not Mr. Blackbourne's job to go through my schedule. That is your job. Maybe I just shouldn't go at all?! I bet that would do wonders for your career." Hearing the volume rise, I quickly press my ear against the wall for a moment before removing my hands completely from the wall. 

Listening ever so carefully, I make my way down the hallway to the last bedroom. The scent of moss and berries easily warns me that this is Victor's room. Reaching out, I press my hand against the door. Running my fingers against the creases, my fingers hit something metal, making me tremble. Wrapping my hand around the door knob, I turn it open and push the door slowly in.  

"Victor?" I whisper ever so quietly but the yelling continues and I freeze in place feeling memories begin to creep to the surface.