Chapter 61: Run!

Point of View: Mr. Blackbourne

The sound of the dog echoed through the entire car as I pushed harder and harder on the gas rushing to get home to the others. A number of different situations ran through my head and I bit my lip trying to determine what the best course of action would be to take when the barking stopped on the other end of the line.

"Report!" I barked in return unsure if the silence that hung in the air was a good thing or a bad thing. The silence continues for a moment or two longer and a soft breath appeared from the other end of the phone that sounded relieved. Surprised, by the sound, I glanced to Sean who leaned closer to the phone unsure if he had also heard the sound correctly.

"The beast took off." Kota responded his voice on the quieter side. Instantly I tensed as I pulled around a corner and came to a stop at a red light. The dog had taken off. That probably wasn't good news. Glancing once more to Sean I can spot that his eyebrows are raised in surprise.

"It probably just got bored with us." Nathan states the uneasy laughter clear in his voice as he answers and I frown knowing he is nervous.

"I doubt it." Sang whispers her voice light and airy through the sound of the speakers emotion withheld from his voice. "But now would be the time to move if we wanted to." She adds and instantly my mind begins to race. If they moved now they might be seen by the dog once more but if they didn't what ever scared the bear away in the first place could possibly come to the tree.

"I would wait a moment or two to make sure it is gone." Sean instantly responds and I quickly press on the gas once more as the light changes from red to yellow and then to green. "Stay up in the tree for now boys. Take a couple more minutes to make sure that it is gone. Only if you are sure come down." Nodding my head, in agreement, I take another left.

"We will be arriving in ten minutes. Mr. Taylor Jr. and Sr. should be approaching the house first. Please let them know not to leave the house.

Point of view: Sang

Resting my head against the trunk of the tree, I shift uncomfortably as we wait. Kota had thought it best if we time the wait on his watch and thus the soft ticking sound filled my ears making me more and more tense with every click.

Was it a good idea to wait? My mind rushed through all of the different outcomes. The fact that the dog had left so suddenly didn't mean anything positive. So sitting still wasn't going to help especially if the other anime could climb.

"Sang?" The quiet but nervous voice pulled my out of my head and I shift slightly against the trunk of the tree. Gabriel. "Do you hear him?" He asks and I can tell he is just as nervous as I am. Taking a slow breath of air, I concentrate on the noises around me. The tick of Kota's watch, the sound of smaller animals rushing around the forest and Nathan's boots scraping against the tree trunk. Nothing else seems to stand out.

"I don't. But that doesn't mean nothing is out there." I state quietly before biting my lip nervously. "I think we need to move, though. Sitting here when something else that can climb is lurking around could be dangerous." There is another moment of silence and I keep my ears open for any response to our chatter before Victor speaks.

"I agree we should go." Glancing toward his voice, I nod and take a deep breath before wrapping my arms around the tree trunk and slowly allowing myself to slip down the side. I do my best to move as quietly as possible not wanting to draw any attention to myself or the boys.

"Sang be careful." Kota whispers from above and I nod moving very slowly and very carefully. My hand catches on a few sharp bits of wood as I hit the ground but I keep silent. It takes a few more minutes for the others to get down from the tree when the loud growl of an animal cuts through the silence and we all take off running.

The boys are faster than me but I do my best to keep up. Sticks scratch at my legs but I don't dare stop as we approach the edge of the forest and launch ourselves into Mr. Blackbourne's backyard. Nathan catches my hand and rushes me to the porch which he easily lifts me up over the steps. Hearing the slam of the door a moment later, I can feel my heart pounding in my chest as I collapse onto Mr. Blackbourne's hard wood floors.

"What the hell!?" North's voice appears across the room at where the front entrance of the house is. Unable to catch my breath, I double over in the kitchen holding onto the countertop trying to catch my breath.

"Bear." Kota's one word response makes me shiver slightly at how close a call it was. If it had been me alone would I have been able to make it? Doing my best to force out breaths a gentle arm wraps around me and guides me into a standing position.

Taking in the warm vanilla smell, I can't help but sigh in relief as I tuck my head into Luke's chest as he rocks back and forth. "I have you cupcake." He whispers and I slowly wrap my arms around his neck drawing him closer in order to ground myself.

I take a few moments to soak in his warmth and gain my voice. "I am okay, thank you Luke." I whisper back still a little winded and slowly pull away looking toward the others with short choppy breaths.

"Guess we should put a pause on hide and seek for a little while?" I state and the others let out exhausted laughs.

"No shit Trouble." Gabriel laughs patting my shoulder softly and I can't help but smile. Although it had been scary, I had to admit that it was a lot of fun as well.

"Let's take a look at those wounds baby girl." North's voice is softer now and I feel his fingers slip into my own. Blushing softly, I squeeze softly knowing he is worried and follow him into the living room along with the rest of the boys.

"I am grabbing the first aid kit. Everybody sit down."