Chapter 63: Watching

Point of View: Kota
Keeping my weight balanced on the tree trunk I grab Sang and help her farther into the tree. My heart pounds in my chest as I silently count in my head trying to calm down. I glance to Nathan who quickly takes over and wraps her up in his arms protectively allowing me time to focus on the floor of the forest searching for the loud growling noise. Everyone is safe. I needed to keep this contained and fast.  I can't have anyone getting hurt.

Taking another breath to calm down, I continue to keep an eye out in the woods trying to spot any movement. Nothing. We were able to hear them but where are they now? Standing from my spot on the tree, I frown still not spotting anything but the growls get louder.

Glancing to Gabriel and Victor both of whom are also watching the floor of the woods both shake their heads. Nothing. What was going on? Pulling out my phone, I quickly press Mr. Blackbourne's app and press the phone to my ear. Listening to it ring my eyes spot a large black and white animal blur rushing toward the tree we sit in.

Pointing it out, we all watch in surprise as the coyote makes an appearance at the bottom of the tree but to my surprise it starts howling but not at us. Something isn't right.

Hearing the phone pick up, I take a deep breath letting the sounds of the coyote echo through the phone first before stating "Mr. Blackbourne we have a problem." Glancing over my brothers I notice that Nathan has pulled Sang a bit closer but both are calm.

"Report!" Mr. Blackbourne's voice has edge to it. Yeah that is how I feel. But to my surprise the coyote goes silent and makes a dash around the tree.

"The beast took off." I state into the phone confused before quickly reporting. "We were in the backyard playing a game of hide and seek when we heard something and made a dash for a tree." I respond and I notice Gabriel climb farther up the tree trying to get a better look at what is below us in the brush. "I have Nathan, Sang, Gabriel, and Victor with me." I then hit the speaker phone.

"It probably just got bored with us." I glance to Nathan who has released Sang a little. His eyes focused on me but my eyes are focused on the bird in his arms. Giving her a once over I can already tell she is thinking something.

"I doubt it." She whispers before turning to look at me. Her angle is slightly off from where she is sitting but I can tell that she is worried. "But now would be the time to move if we wanted to." She was right.

"I would wait a moment or two to make sure it is gone. Stay up in the tree for now boys. Take a couple more minutes to make sure that it is gone. Only if you are sure come down." Doc's voice appears from the other end of the phone. They were probably be on the way home.

"We will be arriving in ten minutes. Mr. Taylor Jr. and Sr. should be approaching the house first. Please let them know not to leave the house." Mr . Blackbourne's voice states before he clicks off the phone.

Quickly texting Luke and North, I pull up the timer on my phone and wait. Keeping it in hand, I continue to scan the surrounding floor of the woods. Nothing. This could be bad. Sang was right that something else had scared the coyote and worse could be headed our way. Taking a moment to start running numbers, I am distracted by Gabriel's soft voice. 

 "Sang? Do you hear him?" He asks the small girl bellow him and my eyes widen. Since her sight was taken away studies did state that people could be more reliant and develop their hearing farther. And from what Sang had demonstrated during hide and seek then she would be our best bet.

"I don't. But that doesn't mean nothing is out there." She states her lip tucked into her teeth as she thinks. "I think we need to move, though. Sitting here when something else that can climb is lurking around could be dangerous." Glancing at the time, I nod in agreement and glance to Victor who meets my eyes.