SS 9

3. What Happened at the Great Temple 

“Huh? The pope is coming to the capital himself?”

One day, as the bitter cold began to subside and the sleet soaked the ground, I heard unexpected news.  

‘With that old body?’

In the meantime, I have been stubbornly rejecting invitation letters from the temple.  The temple hadn't been helpful from one to ten in the past, and there was a high probability that it would continue to do so in the future.  In addition, my current state of unstable divine power also plays a role in my decision to refuse.  

‘If you whine about demonstrating my divine power, it’ll be annoying. Let’s not get involved.’

Since I refused all letters from the bishop to the pope, I thought they would step down even if their pride was hurt, but it was my mistake.  The Pope sent a letter saying that he would personally go to the capital of Asteria, not to me, who had no response, but to the imperial family.  

I'm shameless,

I want to stop by the capital for a while to see the saintess.

While publicly revealing the reason for the visit.  

'Why do you want to meet me even while bending your pride?' 

I suddenly wondered why he came to the capital while informing the whole world of the unpleasant fact that he had been constantly rejected by me.

“Isidore, why does the pope go to such lengths to meet me?”  

I went straight to Blanche and consulted with Isidore, and he narrowed his eyes. 

“…..”

“Since Imperial nobles' public opinion about the temple is not good, maybe they're trying to make up for it by using me?”

“…. Of course, there is an ulterior motive, but I guess it's because of the problem inside the temple.” 

Isidore seemed to know something. 

“Internal problem?”

“Last month, high-ranking priests who had been dispatched to each region secretly returned to the temple. Not only the high-ranking priests, but also the priests who practiced fasting.” 

“Is there a big internal event?  Something like a New Year's Mass.”

“Even if there is a big event, priests who are fasting do not move well. If they leave the training hall, they have to start the fast again from the beginning.” 

He tapped the desk and continued slowly.

“Still, the movement in the temple was strange, so I caught one of the priests and tried to rob it, but it seems that there was a problem with the holy relics kept in the temple.”

“If it's a holy relic, the relic at the time of the incense ceremony….”

At his words, I unknowingly straightened my back.

“Yes, the white rosary that the cardinal brought during the incense ceremony is the holy relic.” 

“Ah.” 

I sighed briefly. 

If the pope is coming to ask me about the Holy Relic, he is well on his way. The only one who knows the true meaning and value of the white rosary called the Holy Relic is probably only me who has a previous life of a saint.