CHAPTER FOUR

DUNCAN

There were so many amazing paintings, my favorite artist had to be the new guy, he didn't have a name on any of his paintings just a little logo of a green sunset. He had some wonderful works, my favorite was of a little boy with blond red hair and big blue-gray eyes.

"What do you think man?" Lukas asked while handing me a cup of water. That was probably the only downside to going to art shows in our town. The menu was strictly water, especially after a kid spilled hot chocolate on a painting that took the artist three years to complete.

I was about to answer when a little kid ran past us my eyes followed her as she stomped behind someone as she stomped. "Right here!" The person turned around and the cup slipped out of my hand. He was the most attractive person I'd ever laid eyes on.

I heard Luke say something but I didn't register what it was. I couldn't tear my eyes off the person as he said hello to two small children.

Mate. Rae sighed happily.

I staggered back, the weight of that one word hit me in full force. A sweet, addictive scent invaded my nose. I felt like I couldn't breathe but also like my lungs had too much of that sweet scent invading them.

I felt a small tap on my shoulder but based on the muffled slap I heard, it wasn't a tap at all. It felt like I was underwater, I felt numb to everything except my mate.

"Dude, you good?" Luke asked, I could barely understand the words.

I nodded slowly and barely whispered "M-mate." and just like that I could hear and see normally again. All the while, my eyes never left him, he was holding the little girl talking with her as she pointed at her teeth.

"Who? The blond chick with kids? Shit. What're you gonna do?" He asked worriedly, I slowly shook my head.

"The one who just put down the little girl." I sighed dreamily.

"Holy shit, the guy?" he whispered.

I watched silently as my mate picked up the little boy and took him to my favorite painting, the one of the boy. It was then that I realized the painting was of the little boy in my mate's arms. He's the green sunset guy? I thought.

Luke started to ramble about what we should do but I focused on my mate as he walked away from the couple who began making out. He took the two children to another painting.

My mate was everything I could've ever wanted in a partner. He was small and skinny, perfectly able to fit in my arms. Not that he wouldn't fit if he wasn't. His skin was fair and looked smooth. His brown hair was shaggy but neat and the same time. His lips were plump and looked like I could kiss them every minute for the rest of my life and never grow tired.

Before I could study my mate more, the little girl came running over to me. "Mister! It's not nice to stare and you shouldn't stare at my Uncle Ocar! He don't like it! It makes him feel like a girl again and I don't want an auntie! I like my Uncle Ocar!" All I could do was look down at her with a shocked look. My mate quickly come up from behind her and grabbed her hand. "I'm so sorry sir. Please forgive her." He said with a slight bow of his head and walked away while pulling the girl who was still glaring at me.

I watched as he dragged her into a corner to lecture her. "Dude, go talk to him!" Luke said as he shook my shoulder.

"I don't even know what I would say to him. 'Hey, sexy, I see how good you are with kids. Why don't we go back to my place and get started on our own." I said sarcastically.

Luke shook his head as his hand connected to his forehead. "How about you just say hi and ask him out? You don't have to invite him into your bed dumbass." He said as we watched my mate get dragged to another painting. "Now go!"

"I don't think I can move," I said softly as I held my hands in front of me. Luke sighed and started pushing me toward my mate and the two children. I tried to use my feet to stop him, "wait, I'm not ready." I whispered. But he just kept forcing me until we were standing behind the group of three. Luke looked at me, waiting for me to speak but I couldn't.

"Go on," he whispered to me. I opened my mouth to say something but all I could do was stare at my mate with wide eyes.

Luke face palmed and cleared his throat. "Excuse me, sir?" He asked softly from behind me. My mate turned around and looked at us in confusion. "My friend here has something he'd like to say." He nodded toward me. When I didn't say anything, he lightly slapped the side of my head.

"P-pretty," I said softly before I could stop myself. Luke slapped me harder in response. I shut my eyes in embarrassment before clearing my throat. "I-I mean, um. C-Can I take you out for a drink sometime?"

His face softened and his brows came together. "I'm sorry I don't drink alcohol." He said causing my shoulders to drop. "But I like coffee."

"Great!" I cheered and turned to step away. But I stopped when I heard an angelic giggle.

"Are you going to ask for my name and number?" My mate laughed. With a red face, I nodded and opened my phone for him to put his information. As he handed my phone back he smiled at me. "I'm Oscar, cutie."

My brain short-circuited. I could only watch as the three of them started to way away. "D-Duncan!" I called out to him. He looked over his shoulder and laughed.

 He looked over his shoulder and laughed