CHAPTER NINETEEN

OSCAR

"Uncle Oscar! I can't wait for- what is he doing here?" Lizzy demanded as she walked into the house. She glared at Duncan and crossed her arms. "You going to stare at my uncle some more?"

"Lizzy, where are your manners?" Bryan asked as he stepped inside with Theo in his arms. He held a hand out to Duncan. "Hey man, I'm Bryan, Oscar's older brother."

I watched Lizzy stick her tongue out at Duncan as he chatted with Bryan. "Lizzy, Duncan is my partner."

"Partner? Like how Mama and Papa are partners?" I nodded to answer, "But you can't be his partner! He is a meanie!"

"Would a meanie take you and your brother to the park?" Duncan asked after saying goodbye to Bryan.

"I guess not..." Lizzy said, still unsure. She still had her arms crossed but her face softened slightly.

"What about getting you guys donuts on the way?"

"Donuts!?" Theo yelled excitedly. Lizzy grinned and nodded along with him.

"You're still a meanie but that can be changed by donuts!"

"Woah now, how many do I have to buy to be a nice guy?" Duncan asked with a chuckle. Which turned into a full-blown laugh when Lizzy stretched her arms wide. He looked at me with worry as I shook my head at him.

He put himself in that mess, I sure wasn't going to help him out of it. No one got between Lizzy and her sweets.

⋉⋊

"So do you like Duncan now?" I asked as I tucked Lizzy into the large bed in the guest room as Duncan tucked Theo into the other side of the bed.

"Donut is great!" She grinned. "Can we play again soon?"

"Of course kiddo. You don't have to worry about me going anywhere." Duncan said as he wrapped an arm around me.

I smiled as the kids cheered and giggled. "Alright, it's time to sleep now. Duncan will be here in the morning, goodnight."

"Love you, Uncle Oscar," they said together.

Duncan and I closed the door behind us as we walked out toward the living room. I smiled at him as we sat on the couch together. He wrapped his arms around me and I played with his hands.

"Who knew you were so good with kids," I teased.

He laughed, "It's actually surprising, most werewolves are only good with pups they see as their own. I'm happy that Rae already sees them as family, even if we just met."

⋉⋊

I smiled and took a deep breath of the fresh air the wind was pushing toward me. I always loved the fresh air that only the forest seemed to bring. The warm sun on my skin and the sound of little creatures in my ears.

It used to be the most calming place for me to be, but now that place was in Duncan's arms in bed. The forest was always my go-to place for inspiration, it could never lead me in the wrong direction.

Duncan was tending to alpha duties, something about needing to hand out baskets he said. So I was taking a walk around the pack lands, trying to familiarize myself with what was soon to be my new home.

I stopped at the sound of feet pounding into the ground. I jumped back when three wolves came out of the forest and stopped in front of me. Based on their size they were all pack members, all the same size.

The one on the right was dark brown, and the one on the left was a dirty blonde like sand. The wolf in the middle caught my eye, their fur was black. All three wolves shared the same eye color; light brown.

My eyes widened as I realized where I had seen the wolf before. "Hey were you ever behind a house on Ridge Road?" I asked gesturing to the wolf. "Could you shift so we can talk?"

The wolf looked at the other two wolves, then at me, and nodded. They walked back into the forest, and a few minutes later a woman walked out. She had long fluffy brown hair, brown eyes, and pale skin. She was adjusting a pair of blue glasses as she came to a stop in front of me.

"If it was you in my backyard I wanted to apologize. You just really scared my niece and nephew, you understand right?" I said smiling at her.

"I understand that you need to leave my mate alone." She snapped at me with a glare.

"Excuse me?"

"I said that you need to leave my mate alone. Goddess, can't you hear?"

"Who the hell do you think you are?"

"Like I would tell you. Run along and tell Alpha Duncan what I said. He'll agree with me, doesn't matter who I am, you don't belong here. So leave and take your sickness with you, freak."