CHAPTER FIVE

OSCAR

Something I learned about Duncan very fast was that he was a very big nerd. He kept me up most of the night texting. I had to admit that he was adorable, he was almost a foot taller than me but he was so nervous to talk to me. He was so handsome, with light brown hair and hazel eyes. His sharp jaw was covered in a light dusting of hair.

I nervously looked in the mirror at my outfit. I was wearing a red long sleeve flannel and black skinny jeans. Duncan and I had agreed that he was going to pick me up at 1 pm, it was just past 12:30 and I was already ready.

Sam had always made fun of me for my habit of getting ready way before was necessary.

I decided to sit and wait in the living room but before I could sit down, the doorbell rang. When I opened it Duncan was standing there. He was holding a big bouquet of flowers and looked very handsome. His hair was styled and he was wearing a plain blue short-sleeved shirt and dark blue jeans.

"A-am I early?" I smiled at his shiness and invited him in as he continued talking. "I didn't know if you liked flowers but I heard that flowers are good for first dates. So, um, here." He shoved the flowers toward me with tense arms.

I giggled while taking them. "Thank you. I do like flowers." I went to the kitchen to get them in some water. "You said you heard they're good for first dates. Have you been on dates before?" I asked as I came back into the room. I grabbed my jacket and stepped toward the door.

Duncan stepped out with me and stood next to me as I locked up. "No, I haven't. I guess you could say that I was waiting for the right person." I blushed as he opened the car door for me.

"Aren't we romantic?"

He grinned at me as he got into the driver's side. "You have no idea."

We drove in comfortable silence with music playing in the background. The drive to the coffee shop only took five minutes. Once we got there, Duncan opened both the car door and the shop door for me. I couldn't tell if I liked it or not.

"So, tell me about yourself." I began as we stood in line.

"Well, my name is Duncan Wood. I'm 24 years old and live with my family on our land."

"Your land? Like a farm?" I asked as we stepped forward with the line.

"Something like that. What about you?"

"Oscar Wilson, 23, and I live with my twin brother but my niece and nephew visit me all the time. I like to give my brother and his wife as many date nights as they can handle."

"Your niece and nephew, they were with you at the art show, right? Tell me about them." He smiled.

"Lizzy, she's 6. She is the one that yelled at you last night. She's pretty protective over her family, I feel like you'd like her. Theo just turned 4. There was a painting of him at the show. He's pretty shy when it comes to crowds and new people, which is why he was in my arms most of the night, but once he gets to know you, he won't be able to leave you alone." I blushed slightly when I looked up and saw that the cashier was waiting for us. I had gotten carried away with talking.

"Let me get a large black and white mocha with extra whipped cream," Duncan said licking his lips.

"Just an ice cappuccino for me, with light whipped cream. Medium." I smiled. As we stepped to the side to wait for our orders, I spoke. "So, tell me about your family."

"Well, my parents are pretty normal, they're on vacation right now. We have a lot of houses on the property that we rent out so there's always someone there, everyone is pretty close so sometimes we have dinners with everyone. I honestly can't remember a time when it was only me and my parents."

The cashier called out our orders so we grabbed them and sat down. I took a drink of my coffee and groaned at the taste.

"Is it good?" Duncan joked causing me to blush.

"Here," I said holding my drink out to him. "Try it for yourself." He looked shocked by took the straw into his mouth anyway. His face bunched up in disgust.

"How can you drink that? Here, this right here is a good drink." He held out his. I took a sip and was hit with a huge wave of sugar.

"No wonder you don't like good drinks. You're drinking pure sugar." I laughed.

⋉⋊

I sadly looked down at my lap as Duncan pulled to a stop at my house. I unbuckled my seatbelt and stepped out of the car, but I kept the door open as I turned to look at Duncan. "There's something you need to know if we are going to make this a thing."

Duncan gave me a confused look as he nodded. "Alright," He said worriedly.

"I'm trans," I waited to see if I would get a negative reaction from him, when I didn't, I continued. "I was born a female so if that is a deal-breaker for you then we should stop now."

Duncan smiled softly at me. "Oscar, I like you. Not the parts you do or don't have. I didn't ask you out today because of how you look, that was a plus let me make that clear. I asked you out because you intrigued me and I really like your art. Sorry to say that your being trans isn't a deal breaker for me. You can't get rid of me that easily. So how about I pick you up next Friday for another date?"

 So how about I pick you up next Friday for another date?"