CHAPTER FOURTEEN

OSCAR

"Shit. Sam!" I called out for my brother as I tried to wipe up the mess that I had just made from my attempt at baking. I looked up as Sam walked in and gave him a sheepish smile. "Could you go get the basket of clean towels from the laundry room please?"

As he was gone, there was a knock on the front door, I sighed and looked around. My shirt was covered in brownie batter, there was no way I could've answered the door like that. So I took off my shirt and put it in the pile of brownie batter so the mess wouldn't get bigger. On my way to the door, I grabbed a jacket and threw it on so I wasn't answering the door shirtless.

I opened the door and grinned at the sight. "Hey, Duncan!" I quickly moved to the side and invited him inside. "What brings ya here?"

"We need to talk," He said in a tone that caused a shiver to run down my spine. I nodded and led him to the living room. Once we sat down he looked at me with a pained smile. "I know that we've only been dating for four weeks now, but I've come to really like you, Oscar," he said as he looked down at his hands.

"I really like you too, Duncan. I may even be falling for you," I mumbled the last part so I doubted he had heard me, but his head shot up to look at me.

"There's something about me that you don't know and I'd like to come clean about it."

"You're not married, right? Am I your side piece?!" I asked causing him to laugh.

"No, you're the only one for me Oscar," He said as he reached over and gently touched my cheek. I smiled and leaned into his touch.

"Then you have nothing to worry about. Whatever it is you have to tell me, I'll understand. You'll still have me."

"Alright, um, do you remember how I told you that I live with my family on our land?"

"Yea, you said it was kind of like a farm."

"Right, that part is true, we grow our own food. But I didn't tell you the full truth. The people I live with, not all of them are my family. Think of it like a community, and my family has been in charge of the community for as long as its been. My father before me, his mother before him, and so on."

"Alright, that's not a big deal. I understand why you didn't want to tell me on our first date."

"But there's more, um. I'm not exactly human," He said making me freeze. I slowly blinked at him.

"What?"

"I'm not human. Oscar, I'm a werewolf. Before you freak out, let me try to explain some things. I can control when I shift, even on a full moon. I don't turn into a humanoid creature with oversized limbs and snout, just a normal wolf in a bigger size."

Slowly, I nodded as he continued to talk. "Alright, that makes sense. I'll need to see some proof to confirm this but please continue."

"Alright, well, now is when you come in. You see, when werewolves are created, half of our souls are taken and thrown into the world for us to find. That other half is called a mate, no matter what the gender or species is. That is what you are to me, my mate."

I blinked in shock yet again, "I'm your soul mate?" he nodded slowly as if any sudden movements would scare me. "Alright, let me make myself clear in the fact that I don't want you to think that I don't accept you, because I do. Really, having a soul mate is something that's always been in the back of my mind. Something I've always wanted. But I do need some time to wrap my head around the fact that I'm dating a shapeshifter. I-"

"Werewolf, not a shapeshifter," Duncan said, cutting me off.

"What?"

"I'm a werewolf, not a shapeshifter. I can only transform into a wolf, shapeshifters can take any form. But you need time to wrap your head around this. I get it, I'll head out so you can think. I will be sending you some pictures of my wolf form and things like that you try and get you familiarized with it, is that alright?"

"Right, just give me a few days. I should be good by Monday so come over then. And don't even think of leaving without giving me a kiss goodbye, your soulmate demands it." I said teasingly as I stood up and followed him toward the front door.

He turned toward me and smiled while he wrapped an arm around my waist. "Whatever my mate wants, he will get." I smiled up at him and kiss him.

Once we parted he waved goodbye and walked out of the door. I placed my hand over my heart and leaned against the door. Werewolves were real and I was dating one.

"Sammy!!"