2

July 10th

July 10th

I was finally finished.

This tiny coffee shop that sat on the corner of the most popular shopping district was the most popular in town. I could understand why. I don't drink coffee but when I do, I only drink it from here. It could be from habit or maybe because it's free but I probably won't ever drink anybody else's coffee.

I stared out at my work once more before heaving a heavy sigh and walking toward the back of the shop that was filled with supplies for cleaning sorted alphabetically, just as my manager wanted. I hit the light switch before I pulled on my hoodie that still smelled of rainwater and collected my book bag full of stale goods from this mornings baking.

I stepped outside to the humid air that mixed nicely with the cold breeze. The moon was at its peak and I could see it clearly from the dark alleyway. The blue light highlighted the puddles that decorated the black concrete littered with garbage from whatever party or drunk group that decided to ignore the trash cans on their way down.

I was exhausted. Not like thats unusual for me but I think this is different. I think I'm more exhausted than usual—wearier.

I sniffled slightly as I pulled my hood over my head and headed around the corner toward the Main Street.

During the day, the avenue was the best place to be. The sun shines perfectly through the glass windows that showcased every shops merchandise. There were seemingly happy families and regular people walking up and down every inch of the brick paved road. There was nothing you couldn't get from the Avenue and there was no reason to go anywhere else.

That all changed at night. When the sun goes down and the moon shines down on the empty street and through the tinted front windows of every store, all of the bars and clubs that were tucked in the alleyways or hidden behind larger stores opened up.

Like I said, there was nothing you couldn't get from The Avenue. I'm surprised there aren't more cops lingering around at night to be honest. Though I believe I have seen a few parading around in their uniforms hoping for free wares in exchange of a threat of exposing whatever business they had going on.

Sometimes I remember catching my mother staggering down The Avenue when I would close later. The first time I saw her I wanted to walk past her, pretend she wasn't there and hope that when I got home I'd just find her lying asleep on the bed. The next few times I did ignore her and after that I guess the guilt began to eat me alive and the thought of something happening to her haunted my every thought.

I was always ashamed of it and even now I couldn't tell you I'm not.

"Caine! Kai! Whatever your name is!"