54

October 23rd

October 23rd

"Kai—Kai, listen. I lied—"

"No shit, Sherlock." I chuckled lightly as I walked through my house and toward the stairs.

"No! Can you stop walking! You walk really fast!"

I glanced back at her as I stepped up onto the stairs. "I'm trying to not talk to you right now, Celestia. That's the whole point of the fast walking thing."

She let out a quick breath as she chased me up the stairs.

"Can you at least listen to me? This is not how relationships work!"

"What fucking relationship, Celestia?! I fucked you and that's it! You lied, about somebody I willingly let around you, hurting you!  There is no relationship!" I sighed as I watched her face fall, her sunlit brown eyes sinking behind a dark curtain.

"I just...wanted to tell you that I lied because I didn't want to hurt you. At least not then. It really would've sucked if I had ruined your event because I told you something knowing you wouldn't be able to control your emotions, and it really sucks that you found out and it wasn't because I told you, and it really really really sucks that you would say something like that."

My lips parted as I stared down at her. She hadn't moved, hadn't even taken her eyes away from mine and for some reason, that hurt worse than if she was avoiding me entirely.

"I didn't mean it. I promise I didn't fucking mean it... I don't know why I said that. I'm sorry. I get why you lied—I knew you were lying in the first place. I...don't have the right to be mad at you."

I stepped toward her, her body jerking back as if it was almost instinct. "I'm supposed to protect you ya know. You trusted me to do that and I haven't protected you not once. You've probably been hurt more since you've known me than you had ever been before."

Her eyes softened for a moment as she looked up at me. She took a cautious step forward, her foot placed on the ball of her foot.

"I should've pressed you for an answer because I swear to you, Celestia, no event will ever be more important than you being safe. Ok? Don't lie to me if it's sacrificing your peace and your safety, especially if it's something I can control or change."

She placed her foot flat on the ground as she took the remaining steps toward me. I felt my stomach cave in and my chest relax as she wrapped her arms around my torso, her head laying firmly against my chest.

"I won't lie and you won't ever say anything like that to me ever again unless that's actually how you feel, yea?"

I hummed as I rested my chin on the top of her head, my arms nestling her against my body.

"Words, Kai. Otherwise you don't mean it." She murmured, her voice timid as she held me tighter.

"I won't ever speak again unless it's to tell you how beautiful you are."