39

October 9th

October 9th

I've never been so fucking angry at a decision that has nothing to fucking do with me in my life. Celestia was woken up yesterday and when she felt ready enough, despite her shallow breathing and a voice softer than a mouse's, she told the police what happened. She also told me what happened.

And when they came to the part where you put the fucking asshole who hurt you in jail, she decided she didn't want to press charges.

And all I could do was watch her dull, and damn near lifeless, eyes further protect the one who dulled them.

"Moon—"

"Don't," she interrupted, her eyes shutting lightly as she her fingers wrapped tightly around my arm. "Please don't ask me...why. Because I don't know." Each word sounded like a struggle.

She avoided my gaze but I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I was fuming, but not at her. I've already seen this. I've already watched this happen.

"Moonie, you're breaking my heart. You can't—"

"And how the fuck do you think I feel?! Huh?" Her grip released from my arm as she pushed me away, her body weight shifting as she became imbalanced. "She's my..." she leaned against the end of the bed as she struggled to stand up straight. "She's my mom, Kai." Her voice cracked as she lowered herself to the ground and for a moment, as her hair shifted from over her shoulder, I could see the dark purple ring-like bruise forming around her neck.

"I did everything I could and she still hurt me. Why? I was good. I was good to her..." she choked, her voice tightening the longer she spoke.

I stepped around her, my hands gently holding her wrists as I lowered myself to her level. "I studied, I lied, I worked my ass off for fourteen years and I still have nothing left..." she finally looked up at me, my heart shattering into pieces as she blankly searched my eyes.

She had this stare that I'd never seen before. One that I wouldn't ever want to see again. It was crazed and spoke more words of heartbreak than I could ever in my life. Her lips remained apart as she stuttered to start her sentence.

"What could I do?! She...she did this!" Her wrists pulled away from mine and hovered over her neck as she imitated her attack. And I could see in her eyes that it was like she was replaying it every second that went by.

This isn't about me. Not at all, but this helpless feeling inside of me as I watched my light lose hers because of someone that was supposed to protect her—because I couldn't protect her— makes me sick.

Tears fell uncontrollably from her eyes as she hiccuped through her breathing. "I wanted to die a long time ago, Kai. You stopped that. You saved me and I love you for that," I remained frozen as her cold and shaky hands cupped my face. "But God do I wish you hadn't." She whispered, her lips tucking themselves in as her head tilted.