16

August 21st

August 21st

I always wondered what I'd feel like to stay up all night with this knot in your stomach. I used to watch in movies where they stayed up and waited for the next day just to see the person they loved. Now I'm the one with the knot in my stomach but not because I'm waiting to see Kai; because I'm waiting for it to fall apart.

I don't think that there is anything to destroy yet but the thought of nothing is breaking something inside of me. The knot tightens each time his face rolls through my mind and the idea of his smile only being for me follows. But that bothersome feeling of being alone and without Kai is attached at the hip.

I've never had a crush on anybody—I was too busy doing other things to even think about someone being attractive, let alone planning a relationship.

The tiniest interaction—the tiniest touch—from Kai and I'm falling over myself. I can barely remember what I argue about with my mother most of the time but I can remember every detail of the feeling of his thumb against my hand. The image is burned into the back of my brain and hung up as if I were decorating the walls of my home with cherished memories.

Every time I close my eyes I'm reminded of his gentle and warm touch. The way he stared at me so gently with that perfect unmasked look of his.

The feeling in my stomach hasn't settled.

I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. I need to be thinking about leaving. This is only temporary.

I sighed as I sat up against the headboard, my heart shifting through my chest as it pushed against my ribs. I stared out at the dark and quiet room, nothing but the moon lighting the furniture and floor.

My head is usually empty unless I'm thinking of my mother or my paycheck but right now all I can think of is Kai. No...since I've met him, all I can think of is Kai. "I wonder if Kai is sleeping..." just as I spoke, I heard faint noises coming from what sounded like the hallway. It almost sounded like panting. It was loud as if it was happening right outside the door but too muffled for it to actually be.

Like you should never do in a horror movie, I flipped the cover from over my body and slid from the bed. My feet hit the cold floor gently as I took my time getting to the door.

I still feel wobbly when I walk and sometimes I get a little dizzy but it's not constant so it's ok.

I peeked out at the pitch black hallway, listening for the direction of the sound. "Needy?" I whispered. "Come here boy."

Nothing. He's probably downstairs then. That means...

Kai.