chapter 14

"Hi monkey" he kneels down to her. She hugs him. "What's wrong?" He picks her up. "I hear banging" she says. "From.. in here?" He looks at me. "No, down the stair" she says.

He goes downstairs. I stand up and put on some pyjama bottoms quickly. I follow him.

He looks at me as we both hear the knocking at the front door. I take scarlett from him. He opens the door. I hold scarlett tighter in my arms as I see James stood there.

"What the fuck" he says as he sees derek. He looks at me. I take scarlett upstairs to my room quickly. "Will you just stay right here please honey?" I ask. "Why?" She asks.

"Me and your daddy just need to talk to that man downstairs.. but you can watch tv" I turn it on and put on a kids chanel. I turn up the volume so she can't hear the yelling. "Stay here, okay?" I ask. She nods.

I go downstairs. "James what the hell are you doing here?" I stand next to derek. I feel more confident to stand up for myself with derek here. I know he won't let him hurt me.

"I came to see you, baby" he says. "I don't want to see you.. we're over, and I'm not your fucking baby" I say. "I don't understand.. who is this guy?" He asks. "Just leave.. I dont want you here" I say.

"Who is he.. why is he shirtless in your house?" He asks. I look at derek and then back at him. I don't even care at this point, honestly. "We were having sex" I say. Derek looks at me shocked.

His jaw tightens. "I'm sleeping with him" I say. "Meredith you need me" he says. "I don't need you.. I can get another boyfriend.. if you can't get another girlfriend then that's your problem, not mine" I say.

"I don't even know why I dated you in the first place.. you're a fucking Creep with no personality.. no wonder you have to beg to get me back, nobody else will take you" I say. I'm so angry.

"Meredith" he steps towards me. "Don't fucking touch her" Derek immediately grabs him by the shirt, pushing him away.

"Go inside" he says to me. "Derek-" I say. "Go check on scar please" he looks into my eyes. I walk upstairs. I stop at the top of the stairs to listen.

"I told you not to go near her again.. if she calls me again in tears, saying that you laid your hands on her.. I will kill you" he says. My heart is pounding in my chest.

My eyes widen as I see derek punch him in the face. I run to my bedroom so he doesn't see that I was there still. "You okay scarlett?" I ask. She nods. She giggles, watching the TV. I smile small.

I hear derek walking upstairs. I walk out the room. "Hey" he whispers, hugging me as soon as I walk over to him. I hide my face in his chest.

"Are you alright?" He asks. I nod. "Are you?" I pull away. "Of course" he says. "Good" I say.

"Hey, you stood up to him!" He smiles. I smile small. "Well, you were here" I shrug. I look into his eyes. He leans in slowly and kisses me.

We hear a small gasp from behind us. We pull away quickly and look down at scarlett, who's stood in the doorway.

"Scar" he kneels down to her. "You kiss.. like mommy and uncle mawk.. you-" she furrows her brows. "Scar, its okay" he whispers. "No it not! You lie to me!" She starts crying.

"Honey, I'm sorry" I kneel down to her. "Why didn't you tell me? I think we were friends" she looks at me. "We are friends!" I push her hair out of her face.

"I want to go to mommy now" she looks at derek. "Scarlett" he says. "I don't stay with you anymowe!" She yells. He looks so hurt.

I hold onto the doorframe to pull myself back up. "Baby please don't be mad at me" he puts his hands on her cheeks. Her bottom lip wobbles.

"You like meredith.. are you mad that I'm seeing her?" He asks. "I don't know" she says. He picks her up and stands up. Tears run down her cheeks.

"I love you more than anything in the whole world baby, no matter if me and mommy are together or not" he says. She hugs him. He sighs, hugging her back.

She closes her eyes. He strokes her back gently. He looks at me. I look into his eyes.

"Scar" he whispers. She doesn't answer. "She's asleep" he walks to my guest bedroom and lays her down, tucking her in. He kisses her head.

He walks over to me. "I'm so sorry Derek, i'd never want to get between you and your baby, I'm sorry" I say. "Meredith it's not your fault" he smiles, hugging me.

"Anyway, I kissed you" he chuckles. "Derek" I say seriously. "She's gonna be okay" he says. 

"We can stop this now if-" I say. "No, absolutely not" he puts his hands on my cheeks. "Unless scarlett says to me that she doesn't want me to see you then I still have 2 months of this and I'm not wasting that" he says.

"Do you think she hates me?" I ask. "No, she loves you" he chuckles. "Do you want me to go home?" He asks. "No, please don't go" I say. "Okay, just making sure" he smiles.

"You coming with me or staying here?" I ask. He holds my hand. We go to my room.