chapter 31

Meredith is squeezing my hand as she pushes for the last time. The doctor picks up the baby. It's silent for a few seconds.

"Why isn't she crying? Derek" she looks at me worriedly. The nurse wraps her in a blanket. We both let out breaths we didn't know we were holding when she starts crying.

The nurse lays the baby on merediths chest. "Congratulations" the doctor says. Meredith starts crying as she looks down at her.

"She's beautiful" I whisper. "She's perfect" she says. "She looks just like you" I say. She looks up at me and smiles. I kiss her softly.

"I'm your mommy" she kisses the babies head. She's still crying. "This is daddy" she puts her hand on my cheek, not taking her eyes off of the baby. The baby opens its eyes slowly and looks into mine.

I move my hand towards her. She grabs my finger in her very small hand. I smile, tearing up slightly. I'm a dad again.

"You wanna hold her?" Meredith asks. I nod. She carefully hands her to me. She shuffles over so I can sit next to her on the bed. I do.

"She's a little meredith" I smile. "Thank god she didn't get any of her.. i dont even want to call him her fathers' looks" she says. "No, she's definitely your baby" I smile. She grins.

"Violet Ellis Grey shepherd" she smiles, hugging my arm. She rests her head on my shoulder. "I love you so much mer" I kiss her head. "I love you" she says.

I hand the baby back to her. "Oh, you're so cute" she says in a baby voice, looking down at her. I grab the small box from my pocket whilst she's distracted.

I open it. "Meredith" I say. She looks at me. She gasps as she sees the ring. "Derek, what are you doing?" She whispers. "Will you marry me?" I whisper. Her bottom lip wobbles and she tears up.

She rests her forehead against mine, letting out a small chuckle. She kisses me passionately. "Is that a yes?" I chuckle. She nods. "Yes.. I'll marry you" she giggles happily. I slide the ring onto her finger.

She starts crying again. "Oh baby" I hug her. She's cried so much today. "I'm so happy" she sobs. I kiss her again.

I pull away slowly. We spend about an hour alone with the baby. "Can I go and get scar?" I ask. "Yes" she nods.

"I'll be two seconds" I kiss her head before going. I get her from the waiting room and bring her to the room.

She let's go of my hand and runs into the room. I lift her onto the bed. "This is violet" meredith whispers. Scarlett gets closer to her to look. I smile as I see the grin on her face.

"My sister" she leans down and kisses her head. Me and meredith smile at eachother.

"Honey" meredith whispers. Scarlett looks at her. Meredith shows her the ring. "Umm" scarlett says confused.

"I proposed to meredith baby, we're engaged" I whisper. She gasps and her eyes light up. She has the biggest smile on her face.

"Y-you be my step-mommy?" She looks at meredith. She nods. "Derek" she whispers, handing me the baby. I take her so meredith can hug scarlett. She pulls her onto her lap.

They cuddle for a few minutes. "Can I hold new sister?" She asks. "Yes monkey, of course" I say. Meredith sits her on her lap. I very carefully put the baby on scarletts lap. Meredith helps support her head.

"Mewedith, she look like you" she looks up at mer. Meredith kisses her head. "She's beautiful" she says. I smile. Meredith looks at me with a huge smile on her face.

"What do you think baby?" I kneel next to the bed. "I-I-" she takes a deep breath. I think we're really overwhelming her.

"Are you happy?" I narrow down the question. "I'm never so happy in my life!" She smiles.

"You promise you're happy?" I say. She nods. "Your happiness is the most important thing" I kiss her nose. She copies me and kisses the babies nose. I smile.

"Can I get a picture of all my girls together?" I grab my phone. Meredith and scarlett smile. I take the picture. I set it as my lockscreen immediately.

I take a selfie with all of them too. "Flash the us the ring baby" I say. She giggles, showing the camera her ring. We take a few more pictures.

Meredith ends up falling asleep a little while later. The poor girl was exhausted.