Chapter 8

Anna

"Your Majesty, it is time to prepare."

I painfully opened my eyes while stretching and straightening up as best I could on my bed.

"Who is there?" I asked in a sleepy voice. "It's Kai, madam," replied the servant behind my bedroom door.

My eyelids were hardly open. I struggled not to go back to sleep. Understanding my lack of reaction, the butler went on:

"The cooks are waiting for you in the Ballroom Your Highness.""Cooks? Which cooks?""Well, the people you asked to meet with to set the menu for the reception in two days, Madam."

I yawn.

"What day is it, please?""January 14, Your Majesty."

January 14, I repeated inwardly. I looked up at the desk in front of my bed. The pile of leaves carefully stacked on one of its corners suddenly reminded me of the visit of the foreign ambassadors to Arendelle this Saturday. They were all there. This was the first time I had ever had a meeting like this as a queen. Everything had to be perfect. I had to show them that I could take on this role just as well as my sister and my mother before me.

"I'll be right there!" I cried to Kai, jumping from my bed.

I heard the servant walk slowly away, returning to his occupations. It was only when I was standing up that I noticed that I was only in my underwear, yet never used to sleep like that. I looked around me. Everything was in order, each object perfectly in its place, which was very unusual. Last night came to my mind. The documents, the signatures, my fatigue.... I finally fell asleep. But what happened next? I approached the office. Everything had been tidied up. The documents had been piled up, my fountain pen had been cleaned and put back into the small gap in the wood provided for this purpose. I just remembered leaving my stuff scattered around before I fell asleep. Someone came into my room without my permission and tidied up. I distractedly touched my corset, realizing that its laces had been slightly undone. I blushed. My heart began to beat louder in my chest. The idea that someone had seen me half naked made me extremely uncomfortable. I cleared my throat and inhaled deeply to regain my cool. Where was my dress put? I asked myself, looking for it. I then opened my wardrobe wide and found it hanging in the middle of my other outfits. I put it on thoughtfully and finally understood it. Kristoff, I thought with a smile. Seeing my crown on my bedside table, I grabbed it and placed it on my head. Finally ready, I came out of my room as quietly as possible, avoiding to attract once again the wrath of Kai accusing me of being late – as always. I knocked gently on Kristoff's bedroom door. Not hearing an answer, I opened it. There was nobody there. Gerda, another servant who had always been present for me since my birth, passed behind me.

"Is everything all right, Your Majesty?" she asked me, seeing my worried air.

Lost in my thoughts, I took a few seconds to hear what she was telling me.

"Oh! Uh, yes, everything's fine !" I reassured her. "Do you know where Kristoff is?" "No, Your Highness. I haven't seen him since yesterday."