Chapter 43

Kristoff

It had been almost ten minutes since Anna and Elsa disappeared into the hallway, leaving me alone with Sven in the living room. I had heard their voices for a while but for a few seconds everything had been quiet. Too quiet. I got up, worried, and opened the door. The two young women were there, standing face to face without a word. I dared not advance further, thus avoiding to find myself in the middle of the nascent conflict. Elsa crossed her arms over her chest and turned away from Anna. She remained frozen on the spot, without a word, without a gesture to her sister. I understood. She knew. Elsa had told her.

The temperature had suddenly dropped. The former queen of Arendelle seemed to try to stifle her emotions and feelings in the face of her sister's baffled face. In vain. Her hands trembled, betraying a sudden fear that seized her. That of rejection. Her fingers sank into the flesh of her arms always crossed, trying by this process to control the snow and frost appearing around us. This time I saw her lose her cool before my eyes.

Faced with this old reflex of the young woman, Anna hardly swallowed her saliva before arriving to pronounce in the direction of her elder:

"Just tell me who it is..."

Elsa did not turn around, not daring to look at her.

«Honeymaren», she whispered, on the verge of tears.

The cold became more severe. Our breath formed a small cloud of water vapour with each exhalation. I took Anna in my arms. I didn't expect her to be so shocked by that. Neither did Elsa. The young woman seemed to experience this little reaction as an inner tear, not feeling supported by her own sister. She wanted to move away, no longer supporting this silence. She did not have time to take a step. Anna's hand suddenly grabbed one of her own and held it.

«Whatever your choices, you are my sister and I love you», she says quietly looking Elsa in the eyes.

The former queen smiled and pressed her against her. I saw that she was crying on her sister's shoulder. It was not tears of sadness but of relief. She was no longer alone.

Elsa eventually returns to her room, leaving me alone in the hallway with Anna.

"I'd better stay with her for a little while ... You don't blame me?" the young woman asked.

"Of course not. You will join me later," I said, stroking his cheek.

She smiled at me, tiptoed and kissed me tenderly before leaving to meet her sister.

***

Finding my room gave me a sense of relief. I was again in a familiar setting, surrounded by objects and people I knew and loved. Of course, there was Ryder in the enchanted forest. But I was offended that he didn't admit his attraction to Elsa. I knew him as my own brother, I had noticed that his reactions to my questions on the subject betrayed what he felt for her. He had never dared to deny any of my statements about my hypotheses about him and Elsa by looking me straight in the eye and sincerely asserting the opposite. I was convinced he loved her. His anger at the discovery of Honeymaren's homosexuality only hid his disappointment with the former queen. Ryder must have known as well as I did that a possible relationship with the young woman was unthinkable. He tried to conceal his deep sadness through the rejection, hatred and disgust he showed the couple that Elsa and his sister formed. But he must tell her that he loves her, I thought. Until he confesses to her, he will not be able to move on.

***

I sighed patiently waiting for Anna in my bed. Lying on my back, I put my hands under the pillow behind my head to rise slightly. My fingers suddenly touched a piece of paper.