Chapter 79

Elsa

Someone knocked on my door.

"Yes?

"Dinner is ready, madam."

I walked to the door of my room and opened it. Kai was behind, straight, hands behind, and impeccably dressed.

"If you would like me to accompany you to the dining room...

"No, I would like to...I would like to talk to you."

The butler gave me a surprised look.

"What can I do for you?

"Come in."

I moved away, leaving him the place to pass. He did not move, remaining frozen on the threshold of my room.

"I am not allowed to enter your apartments like this, ma'am. I can call your maid if you wish.

"No, I need you."

Kai looked at me at length. Understanding that I would not let go of the matter, he sighed but ended up entering. I closed the door behind him.

"This situation bothers me a lot, I shouldn't...

"I just want to talk to you. Here, sit down," I said, offering him one of the chairs in the room.

He settled there despite himself but took a very uncomfortable position, making me understand that he did not intend to stay long.

"What do you want me to tell you?" he asked.

"You were close enough to my parents, Gerda, weren't you?"

"We can say that, yes. "

"They used to confide in you?"

"Your father didn't, not so much. He was generally quite discreet. He kept his problems to himself most of the time, or he entrusted them to his wife. "

"What about my mother?"

"She wasn't talking to me the most. It was at.... Gerda, his maid. They were spending a lot of time together so I guess they had to talk about more personal things several times. Why are you asking me this? "

"She never told you about her past?"

"You mean before she met King Agnarr?"

"Yes. "

"Well, it happened once or twice after you were born. She seemed very concerned about you—"

"What did she tell you?"

"That you should not approach the Northuldra..."

"What do you mean?"

"She seemed to know before her time what had just happened... I never understood how she could suspect all this... Yet she had such certainties..."

I do not react to his words. He was obviously not aware of my mother's gift of shamanism.

"I think the king must have known much more about all these mysteries than we did," Kai said. After all, it was none of my business and none of my business."

But yes, it was obvious. Only my father could have the answers to my questions.

"Do you know if he used to keep a diary or something? "

"Agnarr?"

I nodded.

"Not to my knowledge... No one but him entered his office. Even after his death, he remained locked.