Chapter 91

Aksel

"What? Would you leave everything behind for people you barely know?"

"They are long-time friends..."

"You never told me! How do you know them?"

"Nikolai is a reindeer breeder, Helene, his wife.... I don't know exactly what she's doing, I've only seen her once or twice. He was a carpenter before. We worked together for years. "

"In Arendelle?"

I nodded. My wife sighed and went on:

"I know you did this because you really believed in harmony between our two peoples and wanted us to settle there before having a child but... Look where we are today. If we had, we would be stuck there and we would have to live in constant fear of being slaughtered on a street. After everything that's happened, how can you still want to help one of them? "

"Nikolai is not from Arendelle, he comes from a village further west."

"But his wife is, isn't it?"

I did not answer anything.

"I beg you...you can't do this to me..." she whispered.

A tear fell slowly on her cheek and was soon joined by others. I took it in my arms and pressed it against my chest.

"I will visit you as often as possible, I promise.

"What about your son? Have you thought about your son, your real son?"

" You will be a perfect mother for him..."

"He just turned two.... You can't leave him like that."

"I am not abandoning him...

Of course I did! she screamed as she suddenly stepped out of my embrace. You go to look after another little boy you don't even know... How do you want me to explain this to Erik? You want me to tell him that his father prefers him a little boy from Arendelle?

"Don't say that...and...he wasn't born in Arendelle."

"Then what shall I say?"

"If I don't help them, what do you think will happen to that child?"

"Just ask someone else."

"There is no one else. "

"What do you know? They had to find a victim and it just fell on you, that's all. Why are they abandoning their kid? They can't handle it themselves, can they? "

"Nikolai is very sick. He's been sick for years. That's why he stopped being a carpenter— He's getting worse week by week, and...he can't afford treatment. He will certainly disappear in the coming months, he knows, and Helene will not be able to look after the child on her own without any income or resources— And if they are entrusting their son to me, it is because Nikolai has always trusted me and he knows I will take care of him properly."

Ema bowed her head. She tried to hide from me the new tears that came to her eyes.

"You can't stand there, even if it's with the little one?" she asked, looking empty.

"No, I can't, you know why."

"Where will you go?"

"There is an abandoned cabin in the pine forest. I could access it, the Northuldra territory is still there and the fog goes beyond. You'll be fine, I promise."