Chapter 52

Elsa

I had been walking through the woods for hours. The day was just beginning to rise and left huge rosy scars across the sky. It's been a while since I saw it as clear and clear as it was that morning. Maybe it bodes well for the rest of my trip— However, as I progressed, I discovered more and more dead trees, completely black and bare of leaves. I was approaching the enchanted forest for sure, but what worried me was that these trees and their terrible disease kept gaining ground, advancing ever further towards Arendelle. I tried to ignore them by giving them no more than a few stealthy glances. But it was useless, all this was in a corner of my head despite all my attempts to change my mind. I forced myself then to fix the mane of my horse which swung slowly along its neck to the rhythm of its steps. It allowed me to ignore what was around me, at least for now. Suddenly, screams startled me. My horse made a violent deviation, scared too. I managed to hold on to him, preventing me from falling.

"Gently..." I whispered to him, caressing him with a trembling hand.

The echo of these strange cries still echoed in the mountain. They came from the east, I was sure. I looked for a moment at the path through the woods before me. I just had to follow him, and he would lead me straight to Northuldra Camp. But my curiosity was stronger. When new cries in which I could clearly perceive a nascent rage resounded, I decided and forced my horse to leave on the right, in a more rocky and steep part of the mountain.

Its hooves produced a clicking on the huge stones that covered the ground. I was not serene, feeling at each of the new strides of the animal that he skidded on this surface far too slippery for him. You are completely unconscious, Elsa! I thought, holding fast to the reins. We soon arrived at a very narrow passage where there was on one side a void and on the other a rock face. I stopped my horse and sighed. Everything was calm for several minutes.

"Maybe... Maybe it's not worth it in the end," I said, staring down the tiny cliff path in front of me.

The animal neighed, seeming to acquiesce, and retreated a few steps, frightened. I was about to turn around when suddenly the screams began again, much closer this time:

"Give me that stupid!

"Can't you see that's not the time?"

"Oh shut up!"

I raised my head and leaned slightly to try to see what was happening beyond the steep passage. In vain, huge trees hid my view. Pines. I did not know this part of the forest, it could be dangerous. I got off my horse and inhaled deeply while taking off my heels. I seized his reins with an insecure hand and advanced towards the rocky path.

"Ok... I whispered, putting one foot on the first stone that presented itself to me. You are completely crazy!"

My horse began to panic and pulled me back. I ignored it and continued my slow progress, one hand resting on the rock face, the other still firmly clinging to the reins. The animal retreated again, almost making me fall.

"Please, I need you!" I said, trying to reassure him as much as I could.

He neighed loudly, shook his head and finally moved timidly towards me. I sighed with relief and set out again, trying not to glance down. I knew perfectly well that if my horse slipped, it would drag me with it in its fall without me being able to restrain it, and given what awaited us below, we would have little chance of getting out intact. My bare feet on the rocks made me suffer terribly. You really picked the right day to put on heels... What would Anna say? I smile when I think of my sister's frantic face. But this thought made me lose my vigilance for a moment: my foot slipped and, trying to catch me, it met the edge of a protruding rock. I choked a cry of pain when I felt it sink into my flesh. I became pale when I saw the blood escaping from the sole of my foot. My horse had suddenly stopped behind me. I felt his warm breath on my neck. We couldn't stay there, it was too dangerous. So I took it upon myself and managed to walk limping and holding my breath. Every time I put my injured foot on a new stone, I left a bright red mark that seemed indelible. When I finally arrived on the other side of this terrible path I finally released the pressure and caught my breath. I quickly put on my shoes again, preferring it to walk barefoot. Suddenly the voices resumed. Voices of men, accompanied by terrible growls. Without further ado, I mounted my horse and galloped it through the pines.