Chapter 53

Honeymaren

"She will not come back poor idiots! She has chosen her side, and it is not ours!

"What then? What better? Since she has been here, she has brought us nothing but misfortunes!"

Everyone was silent. I listened, without saying anything, from the beginning of this meeting. My brother was sitting next to me and seemed worried. Despite the dark night, we had all gathered in the center of the village, sitting on stones or pieces of dried up tree trunks. The sky was clear. The moon and the stars were our only source of light. However, no one was bothered by the dim light. We were used to it now. Then, after long moments of silence, a new voice rose:

"Oh yes? What?"

"What? I didn't think I would be asked, it seemed obvious to me, but if you insist... Do you really believe that all the disasters that fall on us today are only the fruits of chance? Well no! If we are here, starving, I can assure you that it is for a reason, and not just any reason!"

Yelena, who had remained silent until then, rose to face the man in the center of the assembly.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked calmly.

They faced each other silently for a few seconds. One could feel in the looks that they threw all the tension that reigned in the atmosphere.

"I think, O venerable leader, it is largely your fault! It was you who accepted that this ... that this girl joins us! And in my opinion, this kind of completely unjustified and incongruous decision shows a lack of ability to properly lead a people!"

Murmurs came from all sides in the assembly. The insolence of the man did not seem to shake Yelena who always stood straight, pretending not to lean on his stick. She stared at him hard, displaying a stern but perfectly confident face.

"Well, what do you propose then?" she says, staring at him.

The Northuldra seemed unsettled by the calm of his voice. From my seat I could see the whitish glow of the moon reflected in his eyes. I turned my head to Ryder. Ryder gave me a frightened look. The man quickly regained his composure and laughed before resuming:

"When a leader gets older and starts to lose his mind, it means it's time to replace him with a younger, smarter one."

Yelena slowly advanced towards him. When she was at her height, she stopped and looked for a moment at the crowd around her before again laying her eyes on the man who had not moved.

"You know, Andreas, you're making a terrible mistake by confusing my supposed old age with any inability to lead this people."

She turned to the assembly and continued:

"Should I remind you that I am more powerful than any of you will ever be? But if some doubt it, let them get up and join Andreas."

No one dared to make a gesture. Without thinking, I quickly straightened up. Yéléna looked at me with big dismayed eyes.

"That is not true," I said in an uncertain voice.

"Honeymaren, sit down, whispered to me my brother, pulling on my tunic."

"Are you questioning my words?" surprised Chief Northuldra, with a smile in the corner that frightened me.

I glanced at Ryder. He asked me to return to my place with a nod. I turned again to Yelena and said:

"Yes. You're not the most powerful of us."

"Who is it then?"

Her voice had suddenly changed. It had become harder and more threatening. I should not lose my ability.