Chapter 42

Anna

Saturday. Finally. I had been waiting for this moment for four days. Tonight, I will hug Kristoff again and see Elsa again, whom I had not seen for ages. I missed them so much.

I had just got up, and yet I felt exhausted. Kristoff's absence had been harder to bear than I initially thought. I had not felt so alone in the castle since my childhood, since I had been separated from Elsa. The sensation of wandering, without any real purpose, in the corridors of the palace had suddenly returned to my memory during the young man's stay in the enchanted forest.

I looked up at the mirror of the dressing table in front of me. I winced as I saw my reflection. I did not really recognize the young woman that the mirror sent me. The ever-bubbly, cheerful, dynamic and optimistic part of me seemed to have evaporated and gave way to an Anna with pale, dull skin, slightly hollowed out cheeks and tangled hair. I grabbed a comb laid in front of me sighing and tried to put some order in my hairstyle. At each of my passages, the many knots that formed several of my strands seemed increasingly difficult to undo. After several minutes of hard work, I finally managed to form a pretty braided low bun – the same as when I was crowned.

With my hair done, I tried to hide my dark circles and hollow cheeks with a little makeup. Satisfied with the result, I ended up delicately placing my crown in my hair. I looked at myself again in the mirror. It was better, but it wasn't me. It wasn't what I wanted to look like, but it was what was expected of a queen.

I got up and walked to the door of my room. Before I opened it, I turned around one last time. Everything was there. Nothing had changed. The huge four-poster bed, the fireplace, the big carpet, the wardrobe, the pale pink walls... the same room I used to share with Elsa. The one I had always kept, being too attached to my childhood memories. I smile when I see myself playing on that same carpet with my sister.

***

"Elsa! Make me a pretty fairy!"

My eldest did, her tongue coming out slightly from her mouth under the effect of concentration. A beautiful little winged creature made of ice appeared in a few seconds between his little childish fingers. I immediately seized it.

"Thank you!" I said, excited.

Holding at arm's length the toy that my sister had made, I fluttered it over my head by pushing «pfiouuu» to imitate the sound of the wind. Elsa began to giggle.

"Wait, I'm going to build her a little house," she said, starting immediately.

"Good idea!" I said.

I watched her do it. After a few moments, after the appearance of the snowhouse under my eyes, I crossed my arms and slightly rolled up my nose. Something was not right.

"It's too white for my taste," I noticed. "A little colour would be nice!"

Elsa looked at me with an inquisitive look. I began to rummage through the box of games behind me and out came a small container.

"Tadam!" I cried proudly.

"What is it?" asked my sister.

"Glitter. You will see, it will be beautiful!"

Before Elsa could add anything, I removed the lid and tried to empty the contents on the fairy's wings. The glitter seemed a little stuck, I waved the little pot a little stronger.

"Anna! What are you doing?! Things are bad..."

She did not have time to finish her sentence. As a result of a too abrupt movement, the contents of the box suddenly came out, spreading on the carpet at my feet.