Chapter 56

Honeymaren

Ryder was gone, leaving us alone. Something in his attitude seemed strange to me, but whatever. Elsa was there, that was the main thing. We were both in the living room, sitting side by side on the couch in the dark. The young woman was hurt. The top of his dress was stained with blood.

"What happened?" I said, worried.

She didn't answer, just looking at me. I grabbed the clean, alcohol-soaked sponge I had placed in a basin at my feet and approached Elsa.

"Do you mind?" I asked, pointing to her dress.

She nodded, without a word. I grabbed the shoelace that held her garment and untied it slowly. When he was completely defeated, I withdrew the whole, discovering the upper part of his body. By reflex, the young woman hid her bare chest with one arm and suddenly seemed to avoid my gaze.

"I didn't know you didn't have anything in mind... Well... I... Uh... Sorry...", I stammered when I saw her like that.

I ended up smiling, just as embarrassed as she was, before focusing again on her wound. The underside of her ribs was severely nicked. I gently put the sponge on it and pressed it lightly against her wound. Elsa grimaced and held a moan of pain under the burning effect of alcohol. I had to rinse the sponge several times in the basin as it was quickly covered with blood. After all these attempts to disinfect, her wound eventually stopped bleeding. I took the opportunity to take a long bandage that I wrapped around her waist to make sure that her wound does not reopen.

"Thank you," whispered the young woman, giving me a grateful look.

"Oh, uh, that's okay. I'll.... I'll get you some more clothes," I stammered, scratching my head.

I rushed into my room, banging myself on a wall, and came back a few minutes later, pants and tunic in hand.

"I'm sorry, I don't have dresses like yours, that's all I have," I said, handing her what I had brought.

"Don't worry, it will be fine," she reassured me with a smile.

She quickly put on the clothes in front of me. I looked away, embarrassed. Once dressed, I looked up at her. A strange emotion squeezed my throat.

"Hey! Is everything okay? Elsa worried.

« It belonged to my mother... I murmured, not daring to speak louder, lest my voice break under the effect of emotion. I gave them to you because... You're a little taller than me so... I assumed they would fit you."

The young woman took me in her arms. I did not dare to touch her, for fear of hurting her, and I simply put my head on her shoulder.

«That's all I could keep from her,» I blew, keeping my face buried against her.

A tear fell on my cheek and crashed on Elsa's shoulder, forming a small dark stain on the tunic I had lent her.

"I feel so bad about myself...I whispered between two sobs.

"I understand how you feel.... But you have to try to put that guilt aside... even if it's difficult."

Her voice had become deep and left no emotion. She was the only person who knew exactly how I could feel.

"Do you know what we need?" I asked her, gently pushing her away.

She raised an inquiring eyebrow.

'Follow me,' I said, catching her by the hand.

***

We were huddled together in my bed. Elsa's head was leaning against my chest, rising slightly at each of my inspirations, the fingers of one of our hands were intertwined while the other, I fondled her hair tenderly.