Chapter 84

Kristoff

"I can offer you salmon, smoked or tartar, seafood, in this season it will be shrimp, lobster, crayfish, lobster, or if you prefer I also have meat. Reindeer, deer, elk, duck, sheep, lamb... It's all classic. What do you prefer?"

I fainted when the cook mentioned the reindeer. Not knowing what to say, I turned to Anna. The young woman seemed distracted. She looked away, her eyes in the wave. I gave her a little nudge, abruptly pulling her out of her torpor. She looked at us in turn, apparently not having listened to the cook.

"Soup, soup, it will be very good," she replied, before diving back into her thoughts.

"Soup? But... Your Majesty... It's August... I don't think it's the most appropriate..."

"I think we will go instead on a salmon tartare as a starter and sheep as a dish," I said to relieve the cook's distress.

"And... as accompaniments?" he asked, visibly relieved by my intervention.

"Potatoes, cabbage and the berry sauce that you know so well, Anna replied with an absent air. Ice cream with almond cake for dessert."

The chief took note of everything she said.

"How many guests?"

"About fifty," I replied.

The young woman gave me a surprised look.

"What? With trolls, it's a lot right away....

"Kristoff... Trolls don't eat..."

"Ah, uh, about ten, then," I said again to the cook. "But make about fifteen courses, you never know."

"Perfect, I have everything I need," he says, closing his notebook containing all our information.

We got up, greeted him and went upstairs. Arriving at the top of the stairs, Anna froze, staring at the door of her sister's room at the end of the corridor with a worried air.

"Everything is fine?" I asked.

"I don't know... Elsa doesn't look well. "

"I don't think she has anything serious. She misses the Northuldra, that's all—"

"Do you think it's because of that?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"It's just a hypothesis, but it's very likely. She will see Honeymaren again soon, it will certainly get better. Come on," I said, grabbing her hand.

The young woman followed me into my room, without a word. The sun was setting, letting a strong orange light enter the room. Dazzled, I pulled the curtains from the windows, thus hiding its blinding rays. I threw myself on the bed and made a sign to Anna to join me.

"I'm not going to stay tonight," she says without leaving her seat.

"What? Why?"

"It's probably best if we don't sleep together the two nights before our wedding...

"Are you kidding? I slept with you almost every other night.... What difference does it make if we do it tonight and tomorrow?"

She smiles.

"Some people here are very attached to tradition so we'll try to please them at least once, okay?

"It's been a long time since we respected her.... You really think we'll come and check our sheets after our wedding night?" I laughed.

"It is possible... "

"Seriously? They may be disappointed..."

"All it takes is a decoy..."