Chapter 94

Honeymaren

I didn't really know what I was doing on the head table, alongside the groom and among people I didn't know. I felt like I was out of place. My linen dress was very simple and not dyed like all their colorful clothes. I detonated very clearly. I was given the title of ambassador of the Northuldra but it was only to try to enhance my image with all those people who used to evolve in a world that I did not know and of which I knew everything. I looked at Lieutenant Mattias, sitting a few places from me with his wife. He quickly gave me back my gaze and made me a big smile, not seeming to notice my uneasiness. Suddenly, a dozen servants carrying plates arrived and positioned themselves behind the guests. The one who had presented himself as the butler of the castle, Kai, beckoned them to serve us and announced:

"Salmon tartare on Jarlsberg patty with a fish terrine."

The servants then removed the lid from the plates, finally revealing the dish they had brought us. The smell that escaped made my mouth water.

"I've never eaten anything like this before."

"I got used to it, but it's true that at first it feels strange," he replied. "You'll see, the cook at the palace is very good."

Not daring to eat before the others for fear of appearing rude, I watched with impatience that someone grabs his cutlery and begins his dish. As nothing happened, I turned to Kristoff and asked him quietly:

"Why doesn't anyone eat?

"I think they're waiting for Anna and I to start."

"Hurry then!" I teased him, nudging him in the ribs.

"Watch what you do, I am king now."

"Not yet, you have not been crowned. I still have three hours to bother you."

He smiled, turned to Anna, and they began their meal. Everyone began to eat at the same time. Relieved, I grabbed my fork and baked a first bite of the famous tartare. The explosion of flavours on my palate was immediately felt. It was delicious, I had never eaten anything like it, being used to doing the bare minimum in the kitchen.

"Then?" Kristoff asked me, watching me eat.

With my mouth full, I was unable to answer him and gave him a huge smile. He laughed at me and let me finish my plate quietly.

The main course was just as good. I had never eaten sheep before and it was a success. The sauce and vegetables that accompanied it married divinely well together.

The wait until dessert was then terribly long. The guests talked to each other, asked questions or congratulated the young couple, and I felt alone, unable to participate in the conversations they held.

"What time will the coronation already take place?

"At four o'clock in the church."

"Shall we sit there?"

"Yes, of course, anyone can attend, even the people of Arendelle."

I glanced at Elsa. She too seemed lost in her thoughts and did not participate in the discussions. She fixed her hands on her thighs and seemed to ignore what was going on around her. Why won't she tell me? I asked myself then. It was true that the young woman had been avoiding me since my arrival. We had not exchanged a single word. Most of the time she had remained locked in her room, far from the eyes. I was just looking for hers but could not find it. She never turned her face towards me, keeping her eyes down. I then thought back to what Kristoff had told me when we left the stables. I discreetly pulled back my chair to better see the young woman, but did not distinguish anything from my place. I heard the announcement of dessert. Far too preoccupied with Elsa, I did not even pay attention to what I was served and ate distractedly.