Chapter 11

Yelena 

The first thing I heard when I woke up at dawn was the incessant whispering around my tent. I got up with a grunt of discontent and furiously opened the animal skins covering and protecting my small dwelling from the cold, expecting to run into children playing too close to the still sleeping adults. I was surprised to discover a group of Northuldra gathered there. They had all fallen silent when they saw me, but the silence had not lasted long. No sooner had I opened my mouth to ask them why they had gathered so early in the morning, than the cries came from all directions:

"Yelena! We have lost another one of our own!""The spirit of the water has killed one of the Myhre!""No, it is not the spirit of the water that killed him! It is Elsa who did nothing to prevent it!""Those of Arendelle are all the same! They only bring us misfortune!"

I had quickly put an end to the hubbub, still not having my thoughts in place following such a brutal awakening. When I had finally managed to calm down the small crowd and gathered everyone's testimony, I understood what had happened. A new Northuldra had fallen victim to the Dark Sea and its dangers. Many had been surprised at my lack of reaction to the event. But I had been used to such sad news for a long time. It came to me every year at the same time. Everyone's ranting had become more and more violent, targeting Elsa. She was the intruder, the one whose slightest mistake could lead to her loss. The smallest spark could set off an unprecedented fire. And that's what had happened. Everyone was fuming, even though some of them had not been present at the scene. Those who had been present at the scene had only been able to hear a few snatches of conversation with second or third hand elements, and had only been able to vaguely distinguish the outline of a few silhouettes on the horizon, as the fog had been so important. I couldn't really trust them, I knew that. Even if the idea of accusing Elsa seemed to be the easiest one.

*** 

The giants of the earth brought me back a few meters from the Northuldra camp after my morning walk in the forest. The fresh air allowed me to change my mind, to stay alone for a few moments, without the slightest concern. I was now walking with difficulty in the snow, my steps sinking one by one. When I finally reached the first huts and tents, I saw Elsa sitting in the center of the small village. The young woman seemed lost in thought. We were alone, no Northuldra had ventured out in this freezing weather. I had to approach and talk to her, I had no choice. I cleared my throat when I was close enough to her. The former queen turned sharply and immediately stood up.

"Yelena! I didn't notice you..." she apologized. "I thought I understood it indeed. "

We looked at each other for a moment in silence. I leaned on my cane, watching her carefully.

"It is not my habit to accuse someone without proof, of course," I began.

Elsa didn't seem to understand, giving me a look of incomprehension.

"I want you to know that I do not hold you responsible for the death of Mr. Myhre. He knew the risks of going to the Dark Sea, even though it is frozen. I simply wish you would not go to Ahtohallan anymore. It is too much of a temptation for some Northuldra who will not hesitate to do the same. Your ability to tame Nokk has impressed them. They see you for many as a role model, as an example of success that costs them their lives when they wish to emulate you. So please, stop this as soon as possible.""I can't," she sighed. "And why not?""Because a lot of my parents' memories are on this magical island. I can't give them up. I would be giving up a part of myself. I know that you too, Yelena, know the feeling of having lost a loved one. At least try to understand me...""I don't consider Iduna and Agnarr to be loved ones in anyone's eyes. I don't allow anyone to compare your parents to mine. So that goes for you too," I interrupted her curtly.