Chapter 41

Yelena

The sun had just risen. Kristoff and Elsa were about to leave. The Northuldras had gathered around the sleigh to bid them farewell. A few children were running happily around Sven, who was harnessed to the front, waiting patiently for Kristoff to give the order to start. I watched impassively from my tent. It was the first time in months that the former Queen of Arendelle was about to return to her native kingdom. I didn't like these departures. Elsa would no longer be under my watchful eye, while I continued to distrust her. I listened only to nature and my instincts. I listened to no one else. There was nothing natural about this young woman. No. Her magic far exceeded the power of the other spirits. I had observed them at length in my life. They had nothing in common with her. They were extraordinary creatures, with no direct connection to human beings until then. They had all emerged from natural disasters, during hurricanes, tsunamis, fires or earthquakes, to protect our people. She had appeared for no apparent reason, simply claiming to hear a voice guiding her to us. And that voice had turned out to be that of her mother. I couldn't help thinking that, sooner or later, she would follow Iduna's path and betray us without the slightest remorse.

I saw Elsa move away from the group of Northuldras around her. She drew Honeymaren with her into a more secluded corner, seeming to want to hide from the others. The two young women didn't seem to notice me. I was too far away. I took the opportunity to watch them discreetly. I could see that something was brewing between them. Something I didn't like.

My doubts were confirmed almost immediately. They kissed before my very eyes, still unaware of me. My jaw tightened. I clenched my fists. I ranted inwardly as I watched the scene. In barely six months, Elsa was already repeating the same pattern as her parents. A member of the Arendelle royal family and a Northuldra? I refused to let history repeat itself. I knew I couldn't let their relationship prosper. Two women together ! It couldn't be done. It would get us into trouble, one way or another, and the Northuldra reputation would be tarnished if word of the relationship got out. I had to keep them apart at all costs.

Elsa moved away from Honeymaren when she heard Kristoff calling her. The former queen sat down beside the young man and waved to the Northuldra in greeting. At Kristoff's command, Sven galloped off and the sleigh quickly pulled away, soon disappearing into the distance.

I took another long look at the horizon, though blinded by the brightness of the new dawn. The pink sky was getting brighter and brighter. When I was perfectly sure that Elsa and Kristoff were far enough away from the Northuldra camp, I was overcome with relief. I was going to be able to let my guard down for a few days, even if I didn't like the idea of no longer being able to keep a close eye on Elsa.

I turned my head and saw Honeymaren ready to enter her cabin, a pile of wood on her arms. She seemed lost in thought, smiling dreamily. I approached her silently as she placed the logs at the back of her dwelling, before selecting a few more suitable for carving.

"You know you shouldn't go on," I said coldly, leaning on my cane a few feet away from her.

She turned with a start, knocking over the pieces of wood she was holding.

"Yelena! I didn't see you. What are you talking about?" she asked as she picked up the logs.

"About you and Elsa."

Honeymaren froze and paled instantly.

"It's not what you think..."

"I don't need explanations or useless justifications. I've accepted her coming to live with us. I never said I'd allow anyone to have a relationship with her, with anyone from Arendelle."

"She's not from Arendelle anymore. She's one of us," the young woman protested.

I abruptly grasped Honeymaren's chin between my thumb and forefinger and drew her face close to mine, forcing her to look me straight in the eye.

"Just because she lives here doesn't make her a Northuldra," I said dryly.

"But Iduna..."

"Iduna let her people down! And Elsa won't hesitate to do the same when the time comes!"

Honeymaren abruptly disengaged herself from my grasp and stepped back, tears in her eyes.

"No, Elsa's not like that..." she murmured.

"What does it matter? Whether it's you or someone else, I don't want any connection with anyone from Arendelle, is that clear?"

The young woman seemed stunned.

"I don't want to see you with her. Forget about her. She'll only bring you trouble and you know it," I continued.

"What trouble?" she said, giving me a defiant look.

"A homosexual relationship like that - especially with someone from Arendelle - is never to be imagined. Never! It can't be without consequences for the Northuldras. Instead of indulging your fantasies, you'd better help your people and not lead them straight to humiliation!"

"I'm trying to help my people!"

"Honeymaren, you come from one of our oldest families. I thought losing your parents in that fire would have matured you. I was mistaken. Since their disappearance, you've done nothing but go against the tide, rejecting the rules of our community. Think of what Nora and Alexander would think of your behavior. Your brother has adapted better to the situation. When you left Erik, I thought it was to get on with your life, but I was wrong again! It only led you down the worst possible path! You'd do better to listen to me for once and leave Elsa behind for good. And if you don't, I'll personally see to it that this misguided love affair disappears once and for all!"

Honeymaren remained silent, staring at the ground. She seemed to be suffocating. Her fists were clenched tightly and her nails were digging into her flesh.

"Don't disappoint me," I added before turning on my heels, leaving her alone.

No sooner had I left than I heard her collapse to her knees and cry. I didn't look back and continued on my way.

***

Back in my tent, I dropped onto the reindeer-skin and straw bed. I closed my eyes and put my hands on my stomach, concentrating on my breathing and heart rate.

"I'm the bad guy again," I muttered to myself, "why on earth does she have to pursue this relationship with Elsa when she knows it's not going to get her anywhere?"

"Maybe because she loves her."

I straightened up quickly and saw Silja sitting next to my bed on a tiny wooden stool. I cleared my throat before saying:

"I didn't hear you come in..."

"I know you didn't."

"What are you doing here?"

"You asked a question, so I answered it," she said simply.

I looked at her for a long time, not knowing what else to say. I'd known Silja for a very long time - since I was born, in fact. She'd always been there for me, and vice versa. I was the only living Northuldra to have known her before she took her eyes out. I remembered that day perfectly. It had been the worst day of my life. I remembered this young woman murdered before my very eyes and her mother coming to mourn her. I had been able to look into that devastated mother's eyes. That intense blue gaze, which today was nothing but a white veil expressing no emotion whatsoever. A look devoid of meaning.

"What do you think?" I asked after a few minutes' silence.

"I don't think it's their relationship that scares you. It's Elsa."

"That's absurd," I said.

"Not that absurd. You said so yourself. You feel relieved when she's gone."

I didn't reply. By now I was used to Silja knowing all my feelings and sentiments, even those I'd buried deep inside myself. It hadn't shocked me for years.

"Elsa is an obstacle for you," continued the old woman.

"What do you mean by that? She's just a young woman who hasn't been through a third of what I've been through. Why should I consider her an obstacle?"

"Yelena... What scares you is that she'll become more powerful than you, that her magic will be more powerful than yours."

I fell silent. I stared at Silja. No words came out of my mouth. Without really knowing why, I could no longer find the slightest argument to retort to the old woman.