Chapter 59

Anna

I had been sitting at my desk for over an hour, a mountain of crumpled scraps of paper in front of me. I was still holding my fountain pen between my fingers and its tip had been placed for several minutes on the paper, forming a bluish spot that grew as it was. What can I tell them? The mail had been piling up for several days, without me being able to take a look, far too busy managing the kingdom. Dozens of letters that I had been painstakingly peeling since sunrise were piled up on my desk. Most came from France. The oldest were written by the ambassador and the rest by French ministers in person. They feared that a new revolution was looming in their country and were already asking for help and support from northern countries. Seriously? They must have thought that I was not busy enough and that I was bored... My stomach suddenly gurgled. I grimaced and put a hand on my stomach to try to hide as I could the sound it emitted. Everyone tried to cover up the hunger as best they could. We were all in the same situation, no one was spared.

I slumped in my chair with a growing stomach ache. Think of something else and it will pass... I glanced again at the letters in front of me. What's the use? Anyway no one here is in a position to act. We are already struggling to manage our own problems so we are far from solving those of others... A new gurgling made me wince. How long have I not eaten? Five, six days? A week?

Someone knocked at the door.

"Hmm?"

I heard the handle being pressed.

"Your Majesty...We have a problem..."

I turned my head, showing no emotion in recognizing the butler's voice.

"We've had one for several weeks, Kai..." I said in a jaded voice.

« This time...it's different..."

I gave him an empty look, waiting for him to continue.

"The problem has seeped into the palace, Madam... »

"That is to say? Be clearer."

« Well, a lot of the staff is sick and not able to work. Some of us are more severely affected than others—

"Why did you not speak to me before?" said I, rising suddenly.

« You seemed very busy..."

I looked at the butler. For the first time since I was born, I saw fragility, even weakness in him. His eyes were encircled, his pale skin was almost greyish, and a three-day beard made him look even more neglected.

"What do you mean by more affected than others?" I said, softening up.

« Gerda... Gerda is very sick."

I saw all the sadness that filled his eyes when he spoke the name of the servant. I had always assumed that they had an attraction to each other, not daring to reveal it to remain as professional as possible. Kai's sorry look seemed to confirm it.

"Where is she?

« In her room."

***

In fact, I had never been to the servants' building. I had always been prevented from going there, telling me that my place was not there. But at that very moment, I regretted not having gone there before. I silently followed Kai, passing through long dark corridors. Our footsteps echoed on the stone slabs of the ground. It was much colder than in other parts of the castle.

"Why is it not more heated?" I asked in a small voice.

The butler continued to move forward, without giving me the slightest glance.