Chapter 48

"What are you going to do?

"I don't know."

"The contrary would have surprised me... You have never been able to act!"

"Because you prevented me!"

Silence.

"I don't trust you," my father said.

"Yet you should have..."

"Never mind! Your choices have always led us to misfortune!

"I had nothing to do with it!"

"Of course it is! You are repeating the same pattern as in the past when you know full well that it will end badly!"

"What do you know?"

« But look at her! She's free! Much too free! You let her run away quietly to her fellow human beings so that she could simmer the revenge of her grandfather with her family!

"What then? What can she do that can frighten me? Nothing.

« I also believed that with Runeard. But we cannot trust these people. Since she has been here, nothing is going on. We have already lost three minds. What are you waiting for to react? That it also deprives us of our honor? Don't worry, it's on track with what's happening between Honeymaren and her."

I kept silent. Three spirits. Already.

***

"Did you sleep well?"

I woke with a start, widening my eyes. Silja had entered my tent and was carefully folding clothes that I had inadvertently left lying in a corner.

"Well, it was ... strange," I replied, massaging my temples.

"Strange? I would have said "crunchy" with what I heard.

"What do you mean?"

"You spoke in your sleep, darling."

I growled, not with annoyance but with weariness.

"Another spirit is gone, is it not?" I asked, not taking my eyes off my feet.

« Yes ». «

« Which one? »

"That of fire."

I sighed.

"It is already several hours ago," said the old woman. But since you didn't get out of that damn tent, you couldn't see it. »

"I can no longer bear the sun and its overwhelming heat."

« It is just as hot in there. »

"Perhaps. But at least I no longer have to endure its burning and dazzling rays," I replied.

There was a short pause. Silja sat on the edge of my bed.

"You should get your nose out. You're getting delirious," she said.

I looked up to heaven.

"If I come, will you finally leave me alone?" I sighed.

My friend smiled and nodded.

***

The state of the enchanted forest distressed me. Within a week, everything seemed changed. The trees were all dead and covered with a thick blackish layer. The grass usually so green was now yellowed, dried out by the ambient heat. Animals and human beings had deserted the place, leaving us alone in the middle of this chaotic landscape.