Chapter 74

Honeymaren

It was too late now. All I had to do was warn Elsa of the danger.

I watched Erik's hut from the window of my room. No one had left it despite the falling night. The lights stayed on and didn't seem ready to go out. I heard the door behind me open and noises of not approaching.

"Are you all right?"

"Not really, I sigh without taking my eyes off the hut. "Anna, may I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

The young woman came next to me.

"Why did you and Kristoff come back? "

"To get Elsa back. "

"What do you mean?" I turned to her.

She seemed anxious and sad.

"She's no longer safe here, is she?" she asked me.

I looked down and looked out the window again.

"She never really was... "

"Are they threatening her?" she said, pointing to Erik's hut with her chin.

"Listen... They are all blinded by their fear. They think Elsa is the cause of the spirits' disappearance but they don't really know. They are brainwashed with misconceptions and are so desperate about the current situation that they no longer allow themselves to think and make other assumptions. All they want is someone responsible for it, and they're satisfied with the designated person.... Some were just waiting for that. From day one they have sought to accuse her in some way of a crime she did not commit, only because she is different. And this difference scares them. It only took one spark for the fire to start and that's what happened: Erik started the fire in no time because they all wanted to hear what he told them."

"Who is Erik?" Anna suddenly cut me off.

I looked at her at length, realizing that she had never been confronted with him.

"A Northuldra... or rather a monster," I said. "He has no heart or feelings. He knows nothing about love or compassion, he lives only through hatred, jealousy and revenge."

"What would he want revenge for?"

I shut up with a tight throat. Anna realized I was not going to answer her. She then changed the subject:

"Why are you called the people of the Sun?"

I gave her a furtive glance, astonished at her question.

"I'm not sure...An old nickname we've always been given."

"I don't believe it," said the young woman. "There must be a reason."

I sighed at her obstinacy.

"There is a family...whose members have always been said to be descendants of the Sun," I said, hesitantly.

"What family is that?"

"Yelena's. That's why each of her members becomes the leader of the Northuldra generation after generation. It's been that way forever, but deep down, I think it was just an old belief with no real foundation. No one really knows why they're called that."

"No book testifies to this?"

"No, no. No one knows the true origins of our people or why Yelena's family was appointed to lead us and not another. No one... except perhaps Yelena herself. "

"No Northuldra asked the question?"

"Certainly, but it hasn't been answered. There are mysteries that can't be solved rationally, so— it is better to believe what we are told without always trying to question everything."