Chapter 90

Kristoff

One night, nothing more than one night, I thought. I had been thinking the same thing for hours and was unable to sleep. I squirmed from one end of my bed to the other and found no position to sleep. Annoyed, I finally got up, dressed, put on my slippers and opened my closet. Right in the middle of it sat the groom's suit I had bought for months. It consisted of a beautiful shirt of impeccable white, a jacket and emerald green pants and a cream tie. Knowing absolutely nothing about it, I had asked the saleswoman of the store in which I had already entered several times. It was she who had chosen for me, making sure that everything fit me perfectly and that such a green went superbly well with the color of my hair. I had trusted her, actually noticing that it was the first time I felt so beautiful in such an outfit.

I couldn't help caressing the fabric of the jacket with my fingertips. I needed to feel it, as if to make sure it was real, that I would actually put it on the next morning for my wedding. Nothing more than one night, I repeated in my head. I closed the closet sighing. I had to spend this night alone, without any comfort to calm the stress and joy that invaded me at the same time. I then had the idea of going to join Sven in the stables. The presence of the reindeer allowed me to evacuate all my anxieties, and this has always been so. I left my room, crossed the corridor to the great staircase at the back and quickly went down the steps. Arriving in the lobby, I noticed that the candlesticks were still lit, a sign that someone was still standing. I jumped over the last steps and made my way as discreetly as possible to the huge door that looked out over the courtyard. As I put my hand on the huge clapper, I heard someone coming behind me. I turned quickly and saw a very brown young woman whose face was half hidden in the darkness.

"Kristoff?" she said when she saw me.

She advanced towards me and passed into the light.

"Honeymaren!" I cried, finally recognizing her. "I did not know that you had arrived at the palace."

"Only a few hours ago."

I noticed that something was wrong with her tone of voice. It seemed to be off.

"You're not sleeping?" I asked.

"I can't.... You can't either, I guess?"

I shook my head.

"I was going... I was going to the stables to meet Sven. Do you want to come with me? Unless you have better things to do...

"No, I was just walking around the castle.... I'll come with you, if you don't mind."

"Not at all, on the contrary."

I saw her grab one of the candlesticks on the wall and we went out into the dark courtyard, heading towards the stables. When we came in, the horses that were there raised their heads at the same time and made little timid neighings.

"Gently..." I murmured to calm their sudden agitation.

I suddenly heard a long slab at the back of the room. I smiled and walked towards him, Honeymaren following me.

"Did you come with a reindeer?" I asked, noting a second one in Sven's box.

"Yes I had no choice, it is faster than on foot and it allowed me to take some things. You don't mind if I put them in the same box? "

"Not at all. That will make Sven a companion."

The young woman smiled and we entered inside. She gently stroked her animal with a pensive air.

"Everything is fine?" I asked.

"All right. So? You're getting married, I think?"

"Yes, that is the final stretch. "