Chapter 60

Kristoff

"Hey! Look what I found in the kitchen! A remnant of..."

I stopped walking through Anna's room. It was empty.

"Jarlsberg..." I finished, losing my smile.

I sighed, closed the door behind me and went to put the piece of cheese I had had so much trouble finding on the young woman's desk. Papers were spread there, a jumble of letters remained there, adding a new element to the mess that reigned in the room. I took the trouble to pick up some clothes that lay carelessly on the ground – dresses, shirts, stockings of all kinds – and hung them on the screen, in the hope of clearing the ground a little. I then threw myself on the big bed in the middle of the room and, lying on my back, I put my hands on my belly, pensive. I tried to keep my breathing as calm as possible, but quickly my stomach manifested a gurgling of discontent. I was starving. I looked up at the cheese on the desk that was making me want more and more. No Kristoff, wait for Anna... I tried to detach my gaze from it, but the task was more difficult than it seemed. I had never suffered so much from hunger, even though I had learned since I was little to be content with what I found here and there in nature with trolls. But now it was totally different. There was nothing left in nature. Nothing.

I heard the door of the room open. I then raised my head and, seeing Anna, jumped out of bed.

"Oh, you're here! I was beginning to wonder where you had gone ... I've been waiting for you for hours!" I teased her.

When I saw his face discomfited, I immediately lost my smile.

"Okay...maybe not for hours," I said, holding a hand in my hair, all sheepish. "What's wrong?"

The young woman looked up at me and frowned.

"No, it's not okay! How do you want me to go? We hear that more or less natural disasters around us all day and bad news fall on us one after the other, so NO it's not okay! did she get upset.

« You also forgot to mention the fact that we haven't heard from your sister since she left, that the Northuldra are probably just as bad as us if not worse, and that Arendelle is emptying its inhabitants. But the good news is our wedding is in ten days! In the midst of all this chaos, but it's still good news!"

Anna stared at me, speechless.

"Kristoff...It's not funny!" she got annoyed with a little angry punch to my chest.

In truth, I felt almost nothing, the strength she had put in it was not enough to hurt me, but was enough to make me understand that it was no longer worth joking, she had lost the urge to laugh.

"Anna...I'm sorry," I sighed, taking her in my arms.

The young woman began to cry against me, exhausted. Her face buried in my shoulder made me feel her warm tears through the fabric of my sweater. I put a hand on her head to try to calm her sobs. After a few minutes, it turned out to be effective because she gradually calmed down. Then, taking her breath and her spirits, she said to me:

"I hope you at least realize that our marriage will never take place..."

I am silent. Yes, internally I knew it, for a while, certainly since the beginning of this unprecedented ecological crisis. But hearing him say this out loud made me truly aware of this sad reality that I had not wanted to fully accept until then.

"Yes, I know that...I whispered. The spirits decided to disappear at the wrong time."

Anna pushed me away gently and looked at me with her still wet eyes.