Chapter 9 - Midst More Than Jealousy

~ SIMRAN ~

"Ma, kaisi lag rhi hun mai?"

|Ma, how do I look ?|

I asked while caressing her face and she was just blankly staring at the ceiling, there was no response from her as usual maybe it's just me who always hoped that one day she might wake up from the coma and hold me in her arms.

"Please uth jao na ma, aaj mera birthday hai".

|Ma, today is my birthday. ...Please wake up |

I pleaded to wish for her to wake up and wish me a happy birthday as today is special as I have finally turned eighteen, that age which I have been desperately trying to cross all these years.

"Ma, aapko pta hai mai Zane se mili, wahi famous painter jisne mujhe ice cream and umbrella offer kia tha. Woh sach mein bhut acha hai, he is kind and sweet and usne mujhe uske studio aaane k liye bhi pucha aur mujhe ye dress bhi gift ki. Usne kaha aaj woh mujhe ek surprise dega and you know what, mujhe bhut acha lga. Itne salon baad mujhe aisa lga ki mai zinda hun, k koi meri care krta hai and sochta hai mere baare mein par mujhe darr lag rha hai ma ...khin ye khushi mujhse chin na jaaye. I don't want him to go anywhere ever".

|You know what Ma, I met Zane. Yeah that famous painter, treated me with ice cream and offered me an umbrella as well. He is truly good, kind, and affectionate, and gifted me this dress. He told me that he had a surprise for me and it was enough for me. After so many years, I felt like I was alive, that there was someone who was thinking of me and cared for me but I was scared of losing it all. I don't want him to go anywhere ever |

Wiping off my tears, I kissed her forehead and turned to leave when I screamed after feeling a tight slap knocking on my cheek causing it to inflame badly.

"Uncle was right about you, Ruhi. Tu sach mein ek musibat hai".

| You are seriously a big problem |

My teary eyes shook when they stared at the girl in front of them, it was Avani Merchant.

The daughter of my company's business partner shifted to London last year but she didn't as she didn't want to leave her friend circle which brought hell on me since she lives under the same roof as me and never ceased a chance to bully me as it pleases her to the core to watch me yelp in pain.

"Avani why are you doing this to me? Maine to kuch kia bhi nhi hai".

| I didn't even do anything |

She darkly chuckled and clenched my face in between her right hand, "That right as You are in no position to do anything, dearest Ruhi. Don't you know that you are nothing but a maid to your uncle and me? Also in case you have forgotten then let me remind you that now your boyfriend is mine as well".

I choked on my tears recalling how she kissed Vivaan amid the college corridor to make me witness how someone you love changes their devotion with time because, for them, those feelings mean nothing as to my boyfriend I meant nothing, and it is because I am now too fat to be seen by his side.

If it hadn't been for Zander I would have been still mourning over that bastard but thanks to him I have realized by now that there was nothing wrong with me and it was just Vivaan never loved me truly, that he was just attracted to me and when my beauty withered away, his love disappeared as well.