(Law) Chapter 55 - Home

A/N: I did mention this is a bit of an emotional roller coaster, yeah? Also that it's LOOOOOONG? Basically, to quote Ron Weasley: "So... you're going to suffer, but you'll be happy about it..."

I LOVE Y'ALL, THANKS FOR READING/VOTING/COMMENTING/ETC!!

"You're still leaving?" He heard Luffy ask behind him as he stood to get dressed, the last morning of his most recent visit. It'd been a year since they'd gotten together, and several months now since Wano, since Onigashima, since Kaido and Big Mom and Luffy getting his new spot as Emperor. Months of trying to clean up and stabilize the seas, of spreading themselves and the "Straw Hat Fleet" way too thin as they tried to protect the innocent, find the last Road Poneglyph, and begin moving to tear apart the Government. Months of slipping away every few weeks to see each other without announcing to the whole world that they might just be each other's weakness.

It'd been several months of hell, and they both knew they were tired of it.

"... You know I have to."

A familiar warm weight was suddenly clinging to his back, stopping him from taking another step. "I wish you didn't. One more day?"

"We're almost there, babe. Just a little more."

"I know."

That part of the exchange had happened every time they'd met recently. Always 'just a little more' before Law could join up, could swear in. Some days, Law truly believed it. Some days he didn't. Some days Luffy didn't seem to believe it, either, and this seemed to be one of those days. But Law didn't know what he could say to make it better. Especially not with the decision he'd made recently.

"...I may have to be gone a little longer this time."

Luffy slid off his back, coming around to face him. "How long?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe six months. Maybe more. But long enough to finish this part of it, okay? When I come back next, I'll swear in. For good."

"Try to wrap it up quickly, okay? And then, when you come back, I won't be letting you leave again for at least as long as you're gone."

"I'll do my best. But Luffy... I might be out of snail range for most of the time I'm gone..." They hadn't been out of snail range from each other since before Zoro and Sanji's wedding, which made Law a little nervous to even bring it up. But he had an idea for how to keep them both from going too crazy. He just didn't know if Luffy would like the idea.

"Where are you going?"

Law bit his lip. That was something else he was a little hesitant to say. But he had to get it out. "... Flevance. Or at least, where Flevance used to be. I need to see what's left. See the damage for myself, make sure the mines are properly destroyed. I need to see if, if there's anything that can be rebuilt and restored or salvaged or...." He had to stop and grit his teeth. "I... need to lay their ghosts to rest, Luffy. I've put it off for far too long, and I'm the only one who can do it properly."

"... We could go with you."

He shook his head. "No. I need to do this, and I need to do it relatively alone. I'm not even planning on letting most of my crew go ashore. Only Bepo, Shachi, and Penguin." His oldest friends, who had seen him broken and angry and had pushed him through it.

"Will it... reactivate your lead poisoning?"

"I don't think so, but if it does I can cut it out again."

Luffy pulled back, just a little, placing a kiss to Law's cheek as he nodded his understanding. "Just come back, okay? As quick as you can."

Law couldn't help but notice the tightness around those brown eyes. Worry. He couldn't even tell him that there was no reason to worry, though he hoped that would be the case after all this time. "I will. But I bring it up because I want to ask something, and it's fine to say no if you aren't comfortable with it..." He took a deep breath, reining in his own nerves again. "Can I leave my heart with you?"