(Luffy) Chapter 56 - Reunion

How much longer do I have to wait? Luffy whined, but only in his head. It'd been nearly two months since the last letter from Law, and still no call or anything. He knew that depending on how Law chose to travel, he may have had to renavigate some or all of the Grand Line, but still! He'd sell an arm to at least know where Law was.

Law's heart in his chest started racing faster and faster, until Luffy couldn't help a glance at the Vivre card in the ribbon of the hat, just to make sure Law wasn't in danger. That, at least, was as steadily silent as always.

"Ship approaching from port-side stern," Robin's mouth spoke, appearing on the wall next to him. She hated to shout, so that was how she made announcements when she had the watch.

Luffy made his way out to the deck, but froze in place as a huge, familiar blue bubble appeared. His biggest, brightest smile lit up his face and he started running.

Only to come to a screeching halt when he saw Law. Or more importantly, saw the pretty woman Law was piggy-backing with a soft smile on his face. She was reasonably tall — certainly taller than Luffy, even if he had grown a couple more inches — with a soft tan and green eyes. Her short, white-streaked light brown hair framed delicate features, swishing as Law said something quiet that made her laugh. They'd landed near Zoro, and Luffy watched the two swordsmen exchange greetings as Law gently — solicitously — lowered the woman off his back. She grabbed onto Bepo's arm familiarly to lean on as Law looked around, eyes finally landing on Luffy. He smiled, bigger and warmer than Luffy thought he'd ever seen before, and held his arms open.

Regardless of any misgivings he may have had, Luffy took the invitation and charged into them with a grin that he knew didn't quite reach his eyes, instantly getting picked up and swung around once. His signature hat flew back to hang around his neck from the force of the spin.

"Hey, babe. I'm home," Law finally greeted him in that soft, teasing way as he set Luffy's feet back on the floor and placed a kiss on his nose. His Room reappeared, and he quickly switched their hearts back into their proper bodies, but his hand lingered on Luffy's heart.

"Tell me you're still mine?" Luffy asked, trying not to look at the brunette who watched them. He didn't want to be jealous, really he didn't, but Law didn't usually smile so sweetly at anyone other than Luffy. And while he was glad to see the other man so obviously happy, he also wanted to be the cause of that happiness. And for Law to come back after eight months away with someone else that he smiled at.... Well, it made Luffy's heart twinge a little, despite his best intentions.

"Always and forever, however that looks," Law said reassuringly, close enough so their breath mingled, as if asking for permission. Luffy gave it, closing the distance to join their lips. When the kiss broke, one of Law's hands had found its way back around Luffy, while the other hand still rested on the heart beating inside Luffy's chest. "Come meet her?"

Luffy nodded, still a little nervous.

Law pulled him into his side, dragging them both a step or two closer to the strange woman. "Luffy, I'd like you to meet Trafalgar Lami. My little sister." A quiet breath of relief left Luffy's lips at those words. Not competition, then. "And Lami, this is Monkey D. Luffy, the future King of Pirates. And my boyfriend."

Lami grinned at him and held out her hand. "Nice to finally meet you!"

He let his smile brighten, pushed her hand away, and pulled her into a group hug with him and Law instead, careful to keep it gentler than his usual tackle, having noted the wrapped ankle. "I'm so glad he found you!"

She seemed confused at the contact, but hugged back after a few seconds. "Thank you for taking care of him."

"I take care of myself. Usually." Law chuckled above their heads. "Sorry, Lami. Should've warned you that he's a hugger."