Chp 170 - Annabeth's POV

A/N: *cue suspense music* TAN-TAN-TAAAAAAAN!!!

Annabeth's Flashback

WEDNESDAY, 15th February

Walking to the Mathletes room mostly on autopilot, Annabeth was focused on her phone and her conversation with Annie, making her vulnerable.

"What are you doing?"

Jumping startled, Annabeth closed her hand around her phone and swung her arm in a hook, but the other girl managed to duck just in time.

"Athena's Aegis! Don't sneak up on me like this!"

Piper tsked twice, shaking her head in fake disappointment.

"The mighty retriever of the Athena Parthenos got snuck up by a measle daughter of Aphrodite."

Resuming walking, this time with the brunette by her side, Annabeth sent her friend a side glare.

"You may say it like that, but I know better than anyone how sneaky and silent you can be. I was one of those who had to jump out of the way to avoid being crushed when you entered Bunker 9 unnoticed and scared four Hephaestus children into dropping Festus' head."

"That's on them for being distracted. I just said 'hi'."

"Try that one on someone who wasn't there to see your evil grin right after."

Piper didn't even try to hide her joyous smile at the memory.

"Blasphemy. Anyway, what were you looking at?"

"Gift ideas for Annie's brother."

"Is it his birthday?"

"No. If it was, it would be brothers; because they are twins."

"Sure, whatever you say. So, why just one?"

She shrugged while pocketing her phone, knowing Piper wasn't going to leave her alone for a few minutes.

"Positive reinforcement? He got his grades up, and Annie's parents want to congratulate him on that and provoke the other one into trying it."

"What are you thinking of?"

"I'm open to ideas."

"Does he like superheroes?"

Does he?

I don't know, maybe? Doesn't every preteen boy go through a superhero phase?

How should I know?

You also have brothers.

Sure, which I see three weeks a year, if we even get that far.

"Yeah, I think? He's in that phase."

"I'm asking because Kyle recently dragged Jason to a comic shop. You could find something there."

Like a comic? Or a toy?

They are called figurines.

And how do you know that? Weren't you stuck in camp since you were seven?

You're assuming none of my siblings that stayed only for the summers had a geek side and would infodump on anyone who gave them the slightest bit of attention.

Still, it doesn't sound like a terrible idea. You even have the vocabulary to ask for help without getting us kicked out.

Har har.

"Huh. That actually sounds like a good idea. I think I remember Bill reading a comic they borrowed from a friend. This could work."

Piper smiled satisfied.