Chp 47 - Annabeth's POV

Annabeth's Flashback

It was Tuesday evening, and Annabeth was reading a book in her room. She could hear Annie's parents arguing about something downstairs, but couldn't make out the motive.

Wow, they sure are heated.

Do you want to know what's that about?

If it has nothing to do with me, no. I have my own problems, don't need to go looking for more.

After a few minutes, they stopped arguing and Annabeth heard someone coming uptairs. Someone knocked on her door and she went to answer. It was Annie's father, and he gave her a weird smile.

"Hey, sweetheart"

"Yes, dad?"

"Can you come with me for some minutes?"

Annabeth raised an eyebrow, but said nothing, just nodded and followed him to the living room. Annie's brothers and step-mother were there, the boys sitting on the couch with their heads slow and Helga was fuming, with her arms crossed anda scowl.

Something is not good, I have never seen her this angry.

Should I be prepared to run?

Helga looked to Annabeth and threw her hands in the air.

"Great! Now you're here too. Tell her, Ferdinand. Tell Annie!"

Oh, gods, they're going to kick us out.

What? No, they're NOT going to kick us out, calm down.

Her father started stammering.

"Well, you see, Annie, I didn't want to drag you into this mess, but..."

"Tell her, Ferdinand!"

"Your brother Mike, he's... well..."

Helga cut him off.

"He failed ALL his tests. ALL OF THEM!! Tell her why, Ferdinand!"

"Well..."

She didn't wait for him to finish his sentence.

"Because YOUR father was responsible for checking if Mike and Bill had been doing their homework. Ask him if he checked at least ONCE in the last two months. ASK HIM!"

Annabeth shrugged and turned to Annie's father.

"Did you..."

Helga cut her off again.

"No, HE DIDN'T! Imagine MY surprise when the principal called me this afternoon to talk about my son's missing homework, and Mike failling ALL his tests!"

Wow, she's really pissed off.

Dad is lucky if she allows him to sleep inside the house tonight.

Annabeth continued to listen to Helga's rant about irresponsability, trust, marital commitment, children's future and all that. She was getting bored.

Why are we still here? It has nothing to do with us.

Because if we so much sneeze, her wrath can come upon us.