Chp 150 - Annabeth's POV

A/N: FINALLY! I've been DYING to publish this chapter for WEEKS! I was almost tempted to skip the order. This one right here is my new baby, took over even Sierra's chapter! I was supposed to upload it last night, but I've got a new job and this messed up my weekend plans a bit

Annabeth's Flashback

TUESDAY, 24th January

"Hi, Annie!"

"Hey, Sav. Do you have an extra hairband? Mine snapped."

"Sure! I'll get it for you!"

Savannah was a girl two years younger but almost as tall as Annie. Annabeth got paired on her first day of kickboxing to the plump girl with short hair and when the blonde gave her a couple of advice on how to make a science project that would salvage her grade, Savannah eagerly followed it. It seemed to have worked, since the younger girl became Annabeth's shadow, declaring more than once over the last two weeks on how much she wanted to follow into Annie's footsteps.

"You seem to be in a good mood."

"I agree with Jake, you do. What happened?"

Annabeth tried her best to be pleasant for Annie's future's sake, but neither of them felt comfortable with the prying from the adults, so Annabeth just answered vaguely, silently praying for them to drop it.

"I had a nice weekend."

"With a boyfriend like yours, I don't doubt."

Annabeth could feel her face heating up, unsure if the source was Annie or herself. Mary-Anne was well into her thirties, married, and with two small children currently in their judo class. Even if she knew the remark was more motherly than flirty, it was still very embarrassing.

"When did you see her boyfriend?"

"Oh, he came in last Thursday to pick her up. They are very cute."

"I can't believe I missed that!"

Annabeth moved to the other side of the room, unwilling to hear Mary-Anne gush about her Percy to Olivia, another mom who was taking this class while her children were in the judo class taking place on the ground floor.

When you convinced me to try out kickboxing, I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly was this mortifying experience.

Sorry! I had no idea Percy would surprise us last week.

I know, I felt your surprise. Still, don't they have anything else to talk about?

***

It took some effort, but Annabeth avoided becoming the over-achiever. It went against her instincts to not strive to be the best, but this class was also for Annie to learn. It would do her no good if Annabeth improved quickly and climbed the ladder faster than anyone else, only to have Annie lost once she left. For that reason, even if she was paired with Jake, the best one in class, she fought to keep a low profile, focusing more on mentally explaining the details to Annie, describing the feelings all over her body, which muscles were contracting or relaxing in timing, instead of winning against him.

What is really important is to keep your core engaged. A high kick can take away your balance so you need to concentrate on your center of grav-

"Come on, Annie, we both know you can do better than that!"

He's starting to annoy me.

Only you?

Annabeth huffed, relaxing her pose and staring him down.

"I AM doing the best I can."