Chp 8 - Jason's POV

Jason's flashback

AfterJason parted ways with Percy, he was on his way to first period when John started talking.

Okay, so in this class, I have three mates from the football team. Keep a low profile. Just say you didn't sleep well last night, and is saving your energy for the practice. Lie on the desk and keep quiet.

And if they ask why I didn't sleep well last night?

They won't, just go with whatever they say.

When he entered the classroom, he saw John's friends at first, sitting on the desks and laughing out loud. One of them lifted his eyes and saw him. He called and waved him over. The other two turned to look at him.

"Hey! We were just talking about you!"

"Hey there, guys"

"What's wrong, are you sick?"

"No, just didn't get so much of sleep last night"

The three of them shared glances, and started smirking.

"So we've heard. Lotte mentioned she couldn't reach Vanessa last night, and Van is not the kind of girl who don't answer her phone and texts, even if the world is falling apart around her. So, you're that good, huh?" 

That's why you weren't worried about them asking anything.

Yes, pretty much. They'd just assume something that would make me look good, so no worries.

And who is Vanessa?

Head cheerleader.

And you're captain of football team, because sure, why not more stereotypes?

"My lips are sealed."

They started to laugh, and Jason just slipped to a chair, crossed his arms on the desk and laid his head over it.

Are you and this Vanessa together?

I don't know.

How could you not know?

She is... complicated.

How so?

Sometimes she acts like we are together, grabbing me by the arm, sitting on my lap and so on. But a few  days later, she won't even look at me, acting all proper, like a ice queen.

Why she does that?

I don't know.

Have you tried asking her?

And show that I care when I don't? No, she'd see more in this that really exists. Better this way, I don't need a complication like her.

You mean a girlfriend?

Yeah.

You must be doing something seriously wrong if you only think of a girlfriend as a complication.

***

You have a friend in every single class!?

Yes, almost that. I'm lucky.