Chp 157 - Jason's POV

A/N: This chapter was mostly written because I was supposed to go to the beach before my shift but my boyfriend told me not to go, that my skin was slightly pink (it was mostly tanned, or as tanned as I can be, which isn't much) and I should give it time to recover (honestly, I lather myself up with cream every night after shower, my skin is as hydrated as it's possible). Since he's a doctor, it was literally... dun-dun-dun... DOCTOR'S ORDERS. Did I read papers on toddlers' development for this chapter? Yes, you'll understand why (likely not for the reasons you think).

Jason's Flashback

FRIDAY, 3th February

I'm still wondering why did we get called.

I don't think it's that odd.

You clearly never went to school, it's never a good thing when you get called.

We didn't do anything wrong.

Jason knocked on the door, waiting for permission before entering. From her table, Mrs. Jones raised her head to give him a welcoming smile.

"John, thanks for coming."

When she gestured to the chair in front of her, he took it.

"It's not a problem."

She put away the book she had been reading and turned to him with a warm and neutral expression.

"First of all, I want to thank you. Mackenzie told me how offered help to a stranger without any selfish reasons, and I think that is admirable."

Okay...?

"Thank you."

"Since it wasn't for selfish reasons, as Mackenzie believes, do you know why you did it?"

What now?

Just relax.

Knowing from his interactions with well-meaning but overly-opiniated Lares, Jason kept his face clear of any emotions except mild curiosity and his voice neutrally respectful.

"No, why?"

Her mouth quirked in amusement before the schooled her expression to match his. Someone else might have lost that sign, but he grew up with wolves, where the tiniest flick of an ear could sign the mood change.

"John, I wasn't the one who did it. You're the only one who can know why you did it. Do you?"

"She needed help."

She smiled and he couldn't help but think it was a predatory smile and he'd been walking right into her trap.

"Everyone needs help in one way or another. We see several each day; some show signs, others don't. and yet, most people rarely stop to help, be it buying a meal or lending an ear or giving a ride. And yet, you did. Why?"

I told you, it's never a good sign.

"Maybe... because I saw her more than once? And both times she was crying and looked so..."

"Alone?"

Against his better judgement and John's rising suspicion, he kept talking.

"More than this, she was... crying like she had no other hope; no one else."

"Like she was lost in the woods?"

Those words worked like a punch to his stomach. It was true that John had agreed with him about approaching Mackenzie, but it had been his initiative.

Jason, breath.

Do you think I helped her because I thought she was lost like I once was?