Chp 171 - Jason's POV

A/N: *peeking from behind a barricade* I'm alive? Hehe.

Jason's Flashback

SATURDAY, 18th February

Jason opened the door for Annabeth, following her inside the comic shop and watching her looking around before taking another step. He smiled to himself, knowing she darted her eyes all around the shop to catalogue who else was inside, the exits, and what could be considered a threat. He knew several demigods did it, especially powerful ones who could attract a lot of monster interest. However, the daughter of Athena was faster than any other demigod he'd seen doing the same thing and he knew she also had created a number of contingency plans.

"Do you know what you want to buy for your brother?"

She shook her head, moving to fiddle with some comics in a box to their right.

"Not yet. Either way, I'm mostly doing research for now, Annie's parents want us to take a look around, take some pics and get an idea about options and prices."

"There is some very cool stuff here, but also a lot of pricey things."

"What do you consider pricey?"
"I saw some things that cost three months of part-time wage."

She turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"How would you know what is a part-time wage? I thought John didn't need it?"

"He doesn't, but when we came here with Kyle, he would present things saying 'I'd had to work two weeks just to buy this'."

"Oh, he's the pauper to your prince."

"That sounds like something Piper would say; and no, he isn't."

"It does sound like something she would say; and yes, he is."

***

I didn't think we would be back here so soon.

Neither did I. Do you want me to buy something?

I'm not sure? The comics Kyle lent us were cool, but I don't really feel the excitement he did while entering here.

Maybe it's because this is only our second time? Maybe we need time to really feel the appeal.

I don't know...

We could also find another hobby for you. The idea is to find what YOU like, not please others by pretending to be okay with what others choose.

"Hey, Grace, I found your comic."

He turned his head in confusion to find Annabeth smirking.

"My comic?"

She raised a plastic wrapped comic in triumph, presenting it like a TV host would present a prize.

"Ta-da! Captain America, but as a wolf!"

"What are y-oh, you mean because I was raised by wolves? Har har, very funny, Chase."

She looked smug while putting the comic back in place.

"I did think so, especially because you dressed as Captain America last Halloween."

"How do you even... were you at my party?"

"Nope, Percy's friends found us another party."

"Then... Piper?"

She nodded, still casually searching for another comic among the hundreds in display.