Chp 153 - Piper's POV

MONDAY, 30th January

By Mackenzie's insistence, Piper promised to stop skipping her classes to keep an eye on the younger girl. The fact the she had eaten regularly and only threw up once over the weekend was the main factor for Piper's agreement; as long as Mackenzie promised to call her if anything happened. Assuring Piper she would be busy going through all the psychological exercises Mrs. Jones had proposed to her, the girl pretty much kicked Piper out of her own home, much to Trish's grumbling.

Shouldn't we call her?

And get accused of 'hovering'? Again?

The least she could do it check up once in a while. Ungrateful child...

You sound like a nagging mother.

I wouldn't know, I don't have experience with mothers. Not mine, not Claire's.

"Excuse me? You're Trish, right?"

Piper turned from her locker to see an unknown girl, almost half a head shorter than her, waiting with an uncertain smile.

Who is she?

No idea.

"Yes, I am. Can I help you?"

"Huh, actually, I'm just here for a message. Mrs. Jones asked me to tell you that she'd like if you could go visit her on your break. After you get lunch, of course."

"Oh. Do you need an answer or...?"

"Ah, no. I'm just here to deliver her message. Huh... see you around!"

What do you think?

After everything she did for Mackenzie, it's the least we can do.

***

Mrs. Jones smiled when Piper stuck her head inside after knocking.

"Trish, please, come in. Thank you for accepting my invitation. Take a seat."

She did, looking at the older woman in expectation.

"When you visited my office a few days ago, you gave me the short version of how you came in contact with Mackenzie. Would you please give me the longer version?"

"Huh, sure."

Piper explained about how John had seen Mackenzie throw up and cry when she mistakenly entered the wrong restroom weeks before and how it lead to the three of them meeting on a café.

"And what did you talk about that day?"

"Not much. We talked a lot, but most of the time she kept avoiding the bigger issues."

"Like?"

Piper forced herself to relax her shoulders after feeling herself tense up as a reflection from her and Trish's emotions from that day, mostly ranging between embarrassment, uncomfortableness, frustration and pitying.

"I asked if she wanted to keep the baby and she practically snarled at me, saying she's not a murderer. Then I asked if she wanted to keep the baby AFTER it was born. I tried to rephrase it about five times and she deflected the question each time."

One would think we were asking her if she wanted to kill and eat her own baby.

"I tried to get some details about the pregnancy, but she just said she was on the second month and that she was 'taking care' of it. I asked about what the doctors said and if she wanted us to go with her, but she said she already had someone in her family helping. She had agreed to that meeting, but it was clear she wasn't ready to share, so I let her be. Gave her my number and said she could call me if she needed help or if she wanted to talk."