𝟐𝟓. 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬

vanessa swung open the door to trea's house.

"hello?" she heard from the other room. she followed the voice into the living room. she stood in front of the archway staring at the shortstop. "ness?"

"hi." she answered bluntly.

"what the hell, i thought you were in hawaii?"

"i was. but i felt terrible. so im here now."

he put his arms out beside him, signalling for vanessa to give him a hug. she brushed her hair back behind her ear and fell into the boys arms. "im sorry i left." she said, her voice muffled into his chest. he said nothing, but placed his hand on the back of her head. "i'm just really struggling with this whole situation."

"i know. you dont have to apologize."

"trea?"

"yes?"

"what's going to happen if i can't come back?" she asked, though he really didn't have an answer for her. all he wanted was for her to come back to the team. he didn't want to go back to what it was like before her. he could barely remember what it was like before her.

"i dont know," he told her. "but whatever happens, we're going to figure it out. together."

"okay." she said softly. it was quiet for a moment. trea didn't know how to help her, which was weird, considering that's what he was best at.

say it.

"i love you, vanessa"

"i love you too."

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

the clubhouse wasn't the same without her. it was quiet. and there was an undeniable tension throughout the team. how were they meant to play when no one could get their mind off of vanessa?

they had a game tomorrow, but without vanessa their spirits were on the floor.

"any word?" max asked trea, who was throwing on one of his practice shirts. he shook his head in response. "got it."

"i overheard d talking the other day." justin said. the room turned to him and stared, as if to say 'spit it out'.

"why didn't you say anything?" cody asked.

"i dont want shit to spread around. especially if i just heard it out of context."

"well what did he say?" trea said.

"he spoke with the front office, vanessa should be back. when, i don't know. but she's coming back."

"wait really?" mookie said. justin nodded.

the tension in the room faded in that moment. the news was relieving. suddenly, their game tomorrow looked winnable.