𝟓𝟓. 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

they had won. they won the first game of the series against the padres.

and vanessa was nowhere to be found.

they proved they could win without her.

dave wasn't to excited about the fact that she left, although he was one of the only people she told where she was. 

she was liking new york. her entire world was different. she wasn't the same person she was in la. it was a different vanessa. and she was starting to like it better.

the team missed her of course, but they couldn't let that drag them down. they did everything they could to ignore it.

the fact that they won their first game without ness was huge. they didn't need her to win. and they had to keep their positivity going.

but it felt impossible.

and then they lost.

and again.

and one last time.

and vanessa was off in new york.

she didn't contact her team once during the games. none of them.

she honestly forgot about her team. she was able to attend the games in new york without getting recognized too much, which was nice. apparently people in new york didn't care too much about the LA manager.

she did everything she could to not think about it. thinking about it made her stomach hurt. it made her head spin and her ears ring. she couldn't think about it.

and truthfully, she had no intentions of going back, at least for a while. 

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

"did you hear the news?" aaron said, scrolling on his phone, slouched on giancarlo's couch.

"do i want to hear the news?" ness questioned before he continued. he looked at her and gave her a half shrug.

"what is it?" giancarlo asked.

"dodgers lose nlds to the padres."

"time to go home?" giancarlo joked under his breath.

"sounds like they need you over there." aaron said with a laugh.

vanessa felt guilty for their loss. maybe if she was there, she could've prevented it. maybe if she was more patient.

whatever it was that she could've done to help them win, it was too late.

ness was quiet for a little too long after the question.

"yo ness, you okay?" giancarlo asked looking over towards the blonde, she was entirely spaced out, and could probably burst into tears at any moment.

and giancarlo missed the number one rule of women.

never ask a girl if she's okay when she's most obviously not.

tears streamed down her cheeks as she sat and continued to stare blankly. her lips quivvered slightly and she occasionally let out a sniffle.

aaron sat up from his slouched position and placed his phone down on the table.

"ness, whats wrong?" he asked as the expressionless girl let the tears burn into her cheeks.

she didn't know what exactly was making her cry. there was so much, there was too much to just pinpoint one thing. so she just didn't say anything.

"go pour her another glass of wine." aaron murmured to giancarlo, who wasn't quite sure what to do with himself. "its okay if you don't know ness. i understand how you're feeling." he sympathized with her.

vanessa shakily raised her hand to wipe away a stream of tears down her face, just for more to come flooding though.

"you don't have to go back to la. you know that right?" aaron continued. vanessa was able to respond with a slight nod. "do you want to?" the blonde hesitantly shrugged. there were so many pros and cons to la, but lately, the cons had been so heavy.

"stay with us, seriously." giancarlo said walking back into his living room, with two glasses of wine. he placed one on the table in front of vanessa, before she quickly picked it up.

"i can't." she managed to get out. "i don't think im supposed to be here."

"you grew up here i thought?" aaron asked, slightly excited that she was talking.

"i did." the blonde said, "thats why i cant be here. and i can't show my face in la. ill be crucified.""that extreme?" g questioned.

"probably not extreme enough."

vanessa hadn't looked at her phone in god knows how long. she didn't want any connection to anyone from anywhere but the three people who had essentially been nursing her back to health.

"look ness," aaron began "you know we love you. and you're beyond welcome to stay here in new york for however long you need to. but you're an adult. and you were made to do amazing things. new york is full of opportunities for you to start fresh. but knowing you, you need to go somewhere. you're too independent to waste your months away with us. if you want to leave tomorrow, thats fine. if you want to leave in a week, that's fine. if you want to leave in 2 months, thats fine. but we cant hold you back, and if anything, that's all we're doing."

vanessa didn't really have anything to say to that, he was completely right.

a/n: hi guys this chapter is very short i am so sorry but i have a good idea for the next ones so i think this is okay :))