𝟒𝟎. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞

the bus left around 10:30 that morning.  vanessa and cody went together, and vanessa did her very best to avoid trea at all cost. any time she would go anywhere, she would look around and make sure he wasn't in the room.

"do you have all your stuff?" cody asked the blonde. she nodded and headed out of the stadium to the big travel bus that they were taking. it was a fairly long bus ride considering traffic, and one of the vanessa's least favorite's.

vanessa sat down in the window seat and slid down in her seat, hoping to hide from the others who are walking by. she sat in silence as trea followed gavin past their seats, neither bothering to look down.

"are you gonna talk to him?" cody asked.

"i really don't want to." vanessa mumbled

"i think you need to." cody said.

she ignored him entirely and scrolled on her phone. cody popped his head over the end of the seat to look for a trea. he tried to mouth something to cody, but cody couldn't make out what he was saying. he just shrugged and face forward again.

"do we have everyone?" dave asked as he climbed onto the front of the bus. he looked through the crowd of players to made sure he had his most important people if anyone. "trea where's carr?" he couldn't see that she was still sunken in her seat.

"she's right here." cody replied before trea could say anything.

"alright, we're good." roberts said to the man who was driving the bus.

they headed off to san diego for a series against the padres. as the guys in the bus chatted, mookie and freddie, who were sitting across from cody and vanessa, turned and gave them a confused look.

"are you and trea good? you two weren't together at all today. i was with him earlier and he didn't mention you at all ." freddie told her.

"am i not allowed to hang out with other people?" she snapped.

cody widened his eyes and raised his eyebrows towards the girl, implying to not talk about it.

"sorry i asked." freddie trailed off and leaned back in his seat.

vanessa received a text from dave letting her know that she'd have to share a room in san diego.

wonderful.

her eyes glared at cody quickly. "cody?"

"yeah?"

"would you share a room with me this weekend?" she asked.

he cleared his throat for a moment, "sure."

"thank you." she gave him a smile and continued back on her phone.

it was weird, they were weird. vanessa didn't mean to kiss cody last night, but she couldn't do anything about it now. and it wasn't like she hadn't thought about it before.

she loves cody, not in the way she loves trea, but she truly loves him. and he loves her just the same.

what trea didn't know couldn't hurt him, right? as long as the two kept it under ropes then what was the worst that could happen?