Houssem Aouar (Lyon Olimpique) - Emotional Support Person

Requested: on wattpad
Prompt: Marlene, an American girl is in a toxic relationship with Romain Faivre, but Houssem is trying to help her out.
Warnings: veeeeeery toxic

Houssem sat at the New Years dinner party held for the Lyon players and to be quite frank, he was miserable. He clenched his jaw as he saw his teammate Romain across the room with his arm around Marlene, a woman Houssem deeply loved. He couldn't say he loved her though, the media would slaughter him and worse his teammates would be all over him about it. He picked up his glass of cola and took a sip, before setting it back down.

He continued to sip at his drink throughout the night, having small conversations here and there, making it clear he did not want to talk to anybody. "Houssem?" He looked up as a soft voice caught him by surprise. He was met with the beaming eyes of Marlene. He couldn't put his finger on it, but the American had his heart, and whether she knew it or not, he would certainly do anything for her. "Marlene. Nice to see you." He smiled. "Are you not dancing?" She asked, her voice as sweet as honey. "No, no. I don't." He chuckled. He felt his facial features change when he felt her hand grabbing his. "Oh come dance! It's new years!" She exclaimed, pulling him up to his feet. He couldn't say no, so he eventually gave in and danced with her for a bit, smiling and laughing as he did. On the other side of the room, Romain sat glaring at the teammate. He got jealous easy enough, especially around his teammates.

After a while, the pair decided to sit back down together and drink a bit more. "It's been so long since I've spoken to you last!" Her hand sat on his shoulder and that's when things took a turn for the worse. "Marlene!" Both her and Houssem turned to see Romain storming over, his drinking spilling pretty much everywhere. "Babe? Everything okay?" She asked, standing up. "I think we should go home." Romain mumbled. "What? It isn't even the countdown yet!" Marlene replied, smiling and not knowing that a fight is on the horizon. "Don't laugh at me. We are actually going home." He repeated. "Mate, you can wait ten minutes. Let her enjoy the champagne shower when the countdown is done." Romain looked to her right and saw Houssem stand up, his shoulders now broader and his chest puffed out. "You can't fool me. It's obvious what you're trying to do." Houssem swallowed the lump in his throat while Marlene continued to confront him. "Oh please! Nothing happened! I spoke to a friend!" She was furious with her boyfriend. "You're actually insane!" Marlene screamed. "We are not fighting in here." Romain snapped. "Alright, let's go then!" Before Houssem could even try and convince her of anything else, she was already gone with Romain following quickly behind. He let out a sigh and sat by himself once more, watching as everyone around him enjoyed the festivities.

As time crept on, it came closer to the countdown and by the time people had started counting down from ten, Marlene was nowhere to be found. Suddenly, he spotted Romain walking back in looking as though he was crying. The two spotted eachother and so started their walk towards one another. "Romain-" Houssem started but was cut off. "I'm not doing this shit anymore. She's not picky so maybe you'll actually be able to get it." He said, patting his teammates shoulder. Houssem sighed and walked out of the party, searching for Marlene. He called her name over and over again. "Marlene!" He shouted a final time. "I'm here." He heard a small voice say. He looked down by the fountain and spotted the American. Her mascara staining her cheeks her eyes looking as though they had been crying to ages. "Marlene? What happened?" He asked. "I spent the last few seconds of 2022 fighting and the first few of 2023 getting broken up with. I don't think my year can get any worse than right now." She smiled, wiping away her tears. "But he always breaks up with you. He'll be back, don't worry." Houssem smiled and wrapped an arm around her. "No, I don't think I'm going back to him this time. He knew I was looking forward to this and he just went and did that." All Houssem did was nod as she poured her heart out, sobbing.

She told him everything about Romain, everything bad he'd done while he was with her. "I didn't think he could ever be this bad." He mumbled. "He isn't too bad. We just don't work out." Marlene sniffled. "One day you'll find someone. I can guarantee you that." Marlene nodded at Houssem's words. "I can only hope he is somewhat like you." Her hand caressed his face as she spoke. His heart shattered in that moment and he realised she could possibly never be her boyfriend or her lover. Nevertheless, he kept a smile to hide the pain. "I can only hope you find someone who brings you as much happiness." He replied. "Maybe we should go back inside." Marlene suggested. "I think we should." Houssem agreed. She hooked her arm through his and walked alongside him. 'This is as good as it was going to get' Houssem thought. 'She's never gonna see me any other way'. This is just how he is meant to be; her emotional support person.